New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

That is the oil pump. If you will take notice it is aligned with the distributor in the opposite side of the motor. In these engines the gear is on the oil pump rather than the distributor which can make timing the engine a bit trickier if the oil pump is removed as the top of the oil pump shaft is slotted for the end of the distributor shaft.

I am curious about what the bracket attached to the frame is holding and what it goes to/where it come from. I have that same bracket but it isn't attached to anything. I cant think of anything it may go to with the exception of maybe the Hand brake cable.

Edited by johnsartain
correction

2 hours ago, johnsartain said:

That is the oil pump. If you will take notice it is aligned with the distributor in the opposite side of the motor. In these engines the gear is on the oil pump rather than the distributor which can make timing the engine a bit trickier if the oil pump is removed as the top of the oil pump shaft is slotted for the end of the distributor shaft.

On the flip side the distributor can only go 2 ways so then it's easier to get right. 

3 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Can someone inform me of what this is sticking out of the block??? Can't find answer in dodge repair Manuel

IMG_1507736229071.jpg

3 hours ago, johnsartain said:

I am curious about what the bracket attached to the frame is holding and what it goes to/where it come from. I have that same bracket but it isn't attached to anything. I cant think of anything it may go to with the exception of maybe the Hand brake cable.

John,

Are you referring the bracket at the bottom of Steve's picture, just ahead of the exhaust pipe? That is the parking brake cable for trucks with the under-dash park brake handle.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

On the flip side the distributor can only go 2 ways so then it's easier to get right. 

Ed;

Sure it can go in like you mention but I think this is a bit misleading. I bet they all left the factory installed in the same position. A study of the manual seems to confirm this.

Ok guys -Me and my son took the truck for a drive today (shake down run) the truck shifts just like butter on any upshift but can't get it to down shift without a grind of gears...we tried double clutching,waiting for rpm to drop. Nothing seemed to work ....Thanks a head of time ...Steve N. Zach

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

John,

Are you referring the bracket at the bottom of Steve's picture, just ahead of the exhaust pipe? That is the parking brake cable for trucks with the under-dash park brake handle.

Thats the one and its what I I thought it was. Mine was missing the parking brake cable. at some point when I change rear ends I have to figure out how to tie the parking brake handle to the rear end. That'll be a hoot I bet.

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

probably not so bad to make it work.

When you go to the bone yard and choose a rear end, grab all the e-brake cable and fittings.

All you need to do is mount the brackets and connect it to your existing handle ... 5 min tops  :P

Yeah, no problem, done just like that:lol:.