New 1950 dodge Truck to me

Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

8 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Thanks Merle...just occurs to me am I posting in the wrong section here??? I don't want to upset people on my first post.....Thanks Steve

You're not in the wrong section. It's perfectly fine here with your original thread.

3 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

I can find any certain name for our rear ends.....do these have a certain name like regular mopars......83/4...Dana 60....or are They just refered to as a full floating axle????

No special name for them. Just early 40's - 50's Mopar axles. I shouldn't be a full floating axle unless it's a 1 ton. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears to be a 1/2 ton truck. Is it a B-2-B, or a B-2-C? "C" would be 3/4 ton, but would have the same style axle as a 1/2 ton. These have outer bearings supporting the axle shaft, so not a floating axle. The brake drums/hubs are on a tapered shaft and they can be a pretty tight fit to remove. You must have the proper puller tool to remove them. Other than that it's similar to a Mopar 8-3/4, but much smaller. Cars and trucks from that era utilized the same axle design, so differential assemblies can be swapped between them. there was an update in the early '50's that changed the spline count of the axle shafts, but other than that they are pretty much interchangeable.

15 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok Any answers on the vacuum wipers??? Also I would like to keep original but have no knowledge about positive ground 6 6volt systems...did these trucks only come with one tailight??? And can directionals be added????? Thanks guys just the tip of the iceberg of my silly questions

Steve, there are no silly questions. All of us on here want to see these old Dodges running down the road, not sitting in an old shed or patch of weeds covered with dirt and full of mice. Ask away !

17 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

Ok Any answers on the vacuum wipers??? Also I would like to keep original but have no knowledge about positive ground 6 6volt systems...did these trucks only come with one tailight??? And can directionals be added????? Thanks guys just the tip of the iceberg of my silly questions

There are a lot of experts on this page and several of us still have the 6 volt system but if you are looking for a close expert you can always check out your local farm tractor service rep. Lots of farm tractors use 6 volt systems. 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎08 at 7:45 PM, 5027 steve said:

Ok here goes...what is the hook above our sterring wheel ???? It has no behind dash rods to it.....

The hook above the steering wheel was probably used for a defroster fan...

Vtg art deco fan.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Thank you ...how about a suggestion on what to spray on my cowl vent door so I could possible get it to function again????PB blaster??? WD40???

I used Deep Creep to get it moving then took it off and used rust remover/inhibitor, put it back together with a little grease works great. 

25 minutes ago, T120 said:

The hook above the steering wheel was probably used for a defroster fan...

That's interesting. I'm sure it would be useful. I'd be a little concerned about that open fan blade spinning just under the steering wheel. Seems that one's fingers could get fairly close to it at times.

I had to improvise a clip-on fan one day driving home in heavy rains. I had the heater fan on high and couldn't keep the windshield clear. Stopped at a truck stop and purchased a clip-on 12v fan and some towels. Clipped the fan onto the steering column and plugged it into my 12v power outlet, that runs off my 6v to12v converter. Between that and wiping constantly with the towels I was able to get home. What a memorable ride... :(

3 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

That's interesting. I'm sure it would be useful. I'd be a little concerned about that open fan blade spinning just under the steering wheel. Seems that one's fingers could get fairly close to it at times.

I had to improvise a clip-on fan one day driving home in heavy rains. I had the heater fan on high and couldn't keep the windshield clear. Stopped at a truck stop and purchased a clip-on 12v fan and some towels. Clipped the fan onto the steering column and plugged it into my 12v power outlet, that runs off my 6v to12v converter. Between that and wiping constantly with the towels I was able to get home. What a memorable ride... :(

Driving one of these trucks in dense ground fog is real interesting too. I was down to about 10mph the last bit this morning. :eek: Glad I added extra lighting for this very condition. At least others can see me.........

Jeff

• Like 1

Yup, you got it. The panel under the dash is probably your heater fan switch, or some other accessory that was added along the way.

The headlight switch will turn on the parking lights at the first detent, then the parking lights will go out and the headlights come on at the second detent. The Panel switch will turn on your gauge backlights when on, if the Headlight switch is also on in either position. the Choke cable appears to have been replaced at one time, but should serve the same purpose. ;) The Throttle knob allows you to lock the throttle at a certain position. You can use it for a raised idle for warm up, or as a poor man's cruise control. Depress the throttle pedal to the throttle opening you want, then pull out the Throttle knob until resistance is felt to hold it at that position. 

3 hours ago, 5027 steve said:

1st row ---headlight-panel lights-ignition switch-choke-hand throttle????

2nd row below :-* have no idea

2nd row below is likely the fresh air damper and the water valve for the heater.

50 minutes ago, 5027 steve said:

Still waiting on one of my original questions about paint ...it appears that under that spray can red is black ,would that be the original color ,also if I peel back the window rubber it is black underneath.....engine compartment is black - Thanks Steve

Then likely black.  Your methods so far are the only real way to tell original color short of getting the build card, which can take 6 or more months if you can even get it

The added control center for knobs would be for HEATER, AIR, DEFROST in no specified order as these were dealer or owner installed.