Running without inner/outer fenders

Fastback50

Okay odd question, but has anyone ever found a good location for the battery/starting solenoid so that the car can be driven while work is done with inner/outer fenders off?  I still need wiring work, engine/frame cleaning and painting, and a few other things done while I have the fenders off and it is SO much easier to work in the engine bay with these things gone.  What's the best way or best location for the battery and solenoid?  

Right now I have the inner and outer fender removed on the driver's side, and the lower half of the inner fender removed on the passenger side.  I notice the passenger side inner is a two-piece, and the driver's side inner fender is a one-piece.  Is this the same on all 50 Plymouth's?  

Anybody think taking all the fenders off at once to allow easy access to the engine bay is a bad idea?  i think I'm legal to drive it this way in MI as long as I have the bumper still on lol.   

I agree and for the most part won't be driving it, but am ALMOST done with my Scarebird front disc conversion, and really sort of need to drive it to dial it and, and hopefully for some satisfaction :)  Also, it would be convenient to be able to move it in and out of the garage, and to drive it to a buddies place (on dry winter roads) who has a lift for ongoing rust repairs.  

If it's too big of a pain, then I'll just have to put them back on and take them off for access when needed. 

42 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

I always move the battery in every car I do to the trunk. Nothing cleans an engine compartment up like relocating the battery. As far as the solenoid goes, maybe make a temporary bracket and mount it to the engine. 

Hmm I actually like that idea Bizz, that's got to be costly for 00 battery cables though...would be cheaper if I went 12 volt but trying to stay with original for now.  Will consider the idea though as I agree it would really clean up under the hood.

Whilst this is a 1940 Dodge I thought the pic might help, I moved the battery to the trunk a few years ago after putting up with it under the seat for years, I made a metal battery box, cut out a rectangular piece from the wheel arch after temporarily removing the rear fender then welded the box in, it has a breather also......the battery cable goes thru to a Valiant console with a kill switch mounted on the side, battery box has worked well for 20 yrs now, the 2nd pic shows the kill switch , that little black knob at the bottom of the pic is the kill switch.........lol..........andyd

P1000809 (800x600).jpg

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Whilst this is a 1940 Dodge I thought the pic might help, I moved the battery to the trunk a few years ago after putting up with it under the seat for years, I made a metal battery box, cut out a rectangular piece from the wheel arch after temporarily removing the rear fender then welded the box in, it has a breather also......the battery cable goes thru to a Valiant console with a kill switch mounted on the side, battery box has worked well for 20 yrs now, the 2nd pic shows the kill switch , that little black knob at the bottom of the pic is the kill switch.........lol..........andyd

P1000809 (800x600).jpg

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

Brilliant set up Andy!  The battery box really fits right in without standing out. 

14 hours ago, Fastback50 said:

Okay odd question, but has anyone ever found a good location for the battery/starting solenoid so that the car can be driven while work is done with inner/outer fenders off?  I still need wiring work, engine/frame cleaning and painting, and a few other things done while I have the fenders off and it is SO much easier to work in the engine bay with these things gone.  What's the best way or best location for the battery and solenoid?  

Right now I have the inner and outer fender removed on the driver's side, and the lower half of the inner fender removed on the passenger side.  I notice the passenger side inner is a two-piece, and the driver's side inner fender is a one-piece.  Is this the same on all 50 Plymouth's?  

Anybody think taking all the fenders off at once to allow easy access to the engine bay is a bad idea?  i think I'm legal to drive it this way in MI as long as I have the bumper still on lol.   

What's wrong with a sheet metal screw backed by a big washer,and mounting it on the firewall? Small hole easy to fill and paint over later on,or just an existing hole with a threaded bolt and washers.