Tire Info!

John H.

I was just reading posts on here regarding tire sizes vs rim sizes etc., and in steering myself away from bias ply to radial replacements for my B-3-C I ran across what may be a decent deal from Sears on P235/75R-15, all terrain truck rated tires. Since there seemed to be a bit of interest in that size tire I thought I'd post this for anyone who might be looking? There is also a $70.00 rebate offer from Cooper for the purchase of 4 tires, if purchased before 10/31/17. I called their 1-800# to find out when the sale ends (they are on sale from $154.99 down to $98.99 each) as I can't touch them until the first of next month. The gal didn't know when it ended but entered my info into their system to hold the sale price. It just sounded like it was worth passing on?

http://www.sears.com/cooper-discoverer-a-t3-235-75r15-105t-owl-all-season/p-09537205000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

with all due respect the P in the tire series number indicate it is a passenger tire...as for truck...possible good for a mini van or something like a smaller light duty SUV but for a pick up truck that may have intentions of actually pulling a load...these could very well lead to side wall flexing that gives way to that icky false feeling one gets when cornering a vehicle of any sustained weight or should you have to maneuver a object in the road at speed.  The side wall rating on the P tires make them less truck friendly....

I have a 50 B2B that has been in the family since new and it has 6.50/16 tires and a spare the same size. It also has two spare rims that are 16 inch. I am wondering why your truck has 15 inch wheels.  Also isn't a 235 tire 9.25 inches in width? Wouldn't your original  tire size have been about 6.50 inches in width?  Just wondering. 

Edited by Iowaboy

Hey, this is why I come to you guys and why I like this forum so much. I am never too old to learn and I appreciate the advice. My last B-series truck was a pristine 1949 panel truck I purchased when I got out of the Army in 1974. I am always kicking myself for getting rid of that truck and, I guess, I am trying to make amends by making my current truck the best example I can. That said, I am open to suggestions on either 15 or 16" rims. I've not bought any tires just yet.

I have a local guy who took the cab and bed from an old B-model Dodge truck and is mating them to a Ford F150 with a 460 mill. He is left with some parts I may get to purchase from him including a couple each of original 15 and 16" rims, frame, running engine, 4-speed trans, etc. I am not sure of where the 15's on my truck originated as they do not resemble the originals from his. To be able to get my truck to where I can get it out and enjoy it I have to add tires, go through the brakes that were supposedly just done before I purchased it, and happened to go out on the maiden voyage home, and a rear end seal. Replacing the seal is my push to replace the rear end gearing, as well. From past posts on this forum I am pretty comfortable with the idea of the 235's as it seems a few other guys were running and advocating them. They'll get me on the road and free up shop space as long as they are safe, and they are cheap at under $100.00 a pop. But, I am open to suggestions. I figure I'll drive it this way for a couple of years and as I learn more from this site I may do a complete resto.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're into retro, DB tires is making a piecrust tire in 15 and 16's. I bought a set of 820R70's with 3.25" w. walls, have blackwalls too.Tall  tire and over 2k loadrange. I'm waiting for new wire wheels but popped a hubcap on a wheel-less tire and leaned it against my existing tire so I could create a 'sneak peek. Existing Chrysler 17" wheel is visible on the front.

IMG_4128.jpg

These are radials! They have the same height as the 235R65-17's I'm taking off but a 6" wide contact patch vs. a 9" patch on my existing. I'm expecting an easier time turning at a crawl and a more authentic ride and feel. Wheels should arrive in two weeks.

IMG_4124.jpg

The running board is 2" (actual) thick white oak and floats, not making contact with bed or fender.If not for the fender being formed with that visual bump to accept a stock board, I would have created a smaller board, totally independent from cab, bed and fenders. I didn't like the stock straight edged runningboards so I created a long bow from front to back and routed a  stepped radius edge to simulate the stock ones.

IMG_4198.jpg

Not wanting to hijack a thread but a lot of talk about tire size anyone tell me what the backspacing on new rims would be? Current set up the PO did with my truck is wide in the back and thin in the front, I would like to make it more original looking in regards to the rims

Edited by JaysonK

On 10/8/2017 at 12:46 PM, John H. said:

I erred in posting that the tires are a P-235 when they are actually A/T3-235/75R15. I apologize.

Having done this in the past I would go a lot narrower, 215 or 205. Just makes the truck too hard to steer at low speed  and the originals were somewhere in the 215 range. Still have all the benefits of radials just a lot easier to drive. 

31 minutes ago, JaysonK said:

Not wanting to hijack a thread but a lot of talk about tire size anyone tell me what the backspacing on new rims would be? Current set up the PO did with my truck is wide in the back and thin in the front, I would like to make it more original looking in regards to the rims

for your era wheels...neutral....

On 11/3/2017 at 11:10 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

for your era wheels...neutral....

Sorry I don’t understand the comment, are you saying if I got original rims and tires it would be neutral? I plan on running a little wider than original. 

In regards to Cooper tires: just one man's experience - I put a set on my wife's car because that was what the store carried in the size. They were HOORRRIBLE. Worrying about safe handling, I changed them out six months later. One bad experience doesn't necessarily mean there all bad though.

Edited by BlueberryDodge