P15 dash install / rattle prevention tips / help

3046moparcoupe

Wondering if some of you builders out there who have had your P15 dash removed, might be able to help me in preventing the potential for rattles, rubbing, etc..

I should be putting the dash back in the 46 Club Coupe project soon. When I remove parts I like to try and do as thorough a bag-n-tag job as possible as my memory is only a fraction of what it used to be :)

In looking back at my removed parts bin, I found my little Tupperware bucket marked front window trim, from 3yrs ago - with the note and pieces you see in attached pic #1.  The two ea black rubber type spacers are looking pretty crumbly - might be able to carve some new ones if I can find a suitable material, if anyone knows of a re-pop on this part - that would of course be great as well...anyway - per my note you see in the pic. I show them going between the dash and the trim along with the white piping cord - on the bottom edge of the garnish molding.

What I failed to do was document where the thin, 5ea., pads (kinda looks like a canvas material), were at. Since I didn't include it in my trim drwg., I believe these pieces went underneath the dash, around the screw holes across the top of the dash, between the dash and the metal support underneath. ??

This stuff is too far gone to reuse, so one way or another I'll need to find good replacement materials for the canvas and rubber pieces....so if you've been there and done it - your tips or help would be most welcome. Not really so crazy about trying to be original, even though that's OK, mostly just looking for good lasting results in regards to preventing rubbing and rattling.

One thing I noticed, in searching the internet looking for pictures, maybe an exploded dash drwg diagram, etc...was that many of the P15 dash pictures I saw seemed to show piping sticking out on both sides of the window trim, others looked to have piping all the way around the window,...etc..

With the window trim being easily removed, I suppose I could experiment a bit in getting it mounted up nice and snug,...but I'm thinking it would be nice to get the dash mounted correctly the 1st time.

thanks in advance, all reply's welcome and appreciated.

Steve

100_4987.JPG

100_4988.JPG

100_4344.JPG

100_4462.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

The only ones that look familar to me and to be honest I'm going on my RHD Oz 1940 Dodge but in the 1st pic the piece with 2 holes I'm pretty sure is for the steering column/dash support bracket that bolts to the underneath of the dash and the column and gearshift shaft go thru the bracket......the 4 others look like anti rattle/squeak pieces that go between the underneath of the dash and the edge of the door jam......you can see the little bracket at each end of the dash in pic # 4........thats what the pieces look like to me......when I redid my Dodge I didn't bother installing the piping that was around the front screen garnish molding nor did I worry about those pieces are each end of the dash...................that was 40 odd yrs ago........lol.........but I suppose its worth doing if you have the time etc..........regards, andyd    

• Like 1

On my P15 there were some anti rattle cloth type strips between the sides of the dash and the side of the frame near the door openings. I may have reused them, I don't remember. I don't have any dash rattles, I think the strips were a little bit of "good practices" overkill. The purpose of the piping under the front of the window garnish may have been to prevent air leaks from the defroster channels in the garnish. 

• Like 1

thanks for all the reply's back...

found and ordered this off of amazon today, Colorplast Black High Heat Chemical resistant Rattle and Squeak prevention tape.....$9.95 free shipping, high heat = 125C, 1.2mm thick 19 mm wide, 5 meter roll. Looks almost dead on in material and size as to what I found when I took things apart...

rattle tape.jpg

Edited by 3046moparcoupe
  • Like 1