4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Thomba..........were'nt early VW's running 6 volts?........the guys may not have seen you are in Germany and US parts shops may not assist you...........have you tried Andy Bernbaum for a NOS coil, points & condenser?............. andyd

Thanks for your generous reminder :-)

I have noticed over the years that you may purchase some stuff in Germany it still never is somehow exactly right. So - fortunately Plymouth don't break that easily - if something is on the agenda I prefer to get it shipped over from the US. With parts like these that is OK. Obviously, when weight becomes an issue (e.g. I am contemplating with a dual carb set-up maybe next year) the shipping plus tax often doubles the original purchase price. Very unpleasant indeed.

Off the topic!! :-) Never really do understand the issue of import taxes these days anymore besides governments enjoying the regular income source :-(

Years ago I sent an assortment of parts to someone in Norway. Throttle linkage, a voltage regulator, and some other odds and ends.  Instead of auto parts, we filled out the paperwork as a gift of hobby supplies.  As I recall there was no tax, no duty,no customs fees. I know Germany and Norway are not the same but maybe a thorough reading of the regulations might turn up something similar.

Sent you a PM with another possibility.

Thanks for that insight. 

Actually, the content doesn't matter these days any more. It is the value that counts. Everything below 150 €, so roughly 170 USD, is import tax free. Only the 19% vat is required to be paid on top. Only! 

Above that additional and varying import duties are being added. 

Sending something as a gift can work, but these buggers are often very hesitant if the package is eg. heavy or large etc. In that case the gift message occasionally does not work. 

Edited by Thomba48

11 hours ago, greg g said:

Ah so like Christmastime many small packages rather than one big one....did you check you private message?

Well ish :-) The more packages are being sent to you the more postage you have to pay :-(

Whatever you go for - any sort of shipment to Germany from the US is both a hazzle and a costly investment. Unfortunately. Hence you info is kindly taken on board :-) thom