Rear End Question

MATT47025

So I have a 1950 half ton. Its geared super low 45 mph is about top speed for it. Recently 2 miles up the road I found what im guessing to be a 55 or 56

1/2 ton dodge truck in really rough shape. Do you think it would be geared higher? 

Edited by MATT47025
more info

I can not say what ratio would be in the  55, is my opinion it would be no better then what you have now.

You can look around for a car rear end, I found a 52 plymouth suburban with 3:73 gears.

Can pull your axles, drop out your center section and replace with the car center section, put your axles back in.

Or the jeep cherokee and ford explorer are a fairly simple swap, you need to grind off existing spring perches and relocate them on the axle tubes to fit your truck. Seems like the only welding needed.

Would need to figure out the drive line and brakes.

I have a 55 and it had the stock 4.10 rear gears. I found a set of 3.73's in a 54 Plymouth to swap in. I currently cruise 70mph on the highway @ 3200rpms. Most of the posts on here I have seen show the 1/2 ton trucks with the 4.10 gears as standard. 

You could find a 54+ passenger car for 3.73's. Swap out the rear for a modern axle with any ratio you wish (Dana 35 or Ford 8.8). Or you could add an overdrive tranny such as the T5.