Starter Voltage on my B2B

JPP

I have a battery reading 6.32 volts.  I have "00" battery cables going to starter.  I have 6.32 volts reading at starter stud post.  When I push starter button, I get no or little rotation of the starter, worked fine up till today.  The starter appears original.  What is the minimum voltage required to turn starter?  Push the truck, drop clutch starts and runs fine.  Checked my battery ground, no problem, again "00" cable to frame.   Thanks for any and all responses.  Best

The starter switch and what's inside... two copper contacts that mis-align or get burned.

DT Starter Copper Contacts (19).JPG

DT Starter Copper Contacts (11).JPG

DT Starter Copper Contacts (20).JPG

DT Starter Copper Contacts (15).JPG

• Like 1

what you need to know is the amount of Amps available at the starter. The dash lights and the starter both require the same voltage but the Amp draw is considerably different. as an electric motor age they require more amps to do the same amount of work(frictional loss as parts wear)

Edited by LazyK

20 hours ago, JPP said:

I have a battery reading 6.32 volts.  I have "00" battery cables going to starter.  I have 6.32 volts reading at starter stud post.  When I push starter button, I get no or little rotation of the starter, worked fine up till today.  The starter appears original.  What is the minimum voltage required to turn starter?  Push the truck, drop clutch starts and runs fine.  Checked my battery ground, no problem, again "00" cable to frame.   Thanks for any and all responses.  Best

how many amps are you drawing when your motor tries to start..this will tell you what is going on.  If excessive, (consult your book for specs) then you have either internal drag of armature or voltage drop in your cables. You need raw data to go forward from here unless you just like guessing at what parts needs attention

• 4 weeks later...