Put A Lift Kit Under My '53 Today

keithb7

Best winter storage idea ever! Car dollies on each wheel. I am preparing for the Canadian Winter. My '53 Windsor gets the prime spot in my heated garage.  Space is a premium here at home. I have some plans to work on the car this winter, but my garage is not huge. So getting it real close to one wall really helps out a lot. I put these dollies under the wheels to test them out today. They are simply awesome.

I am not done driving the car yet. I am insured until Nov 11. Any nice days that come along, I'll be out for a cruise. We usually don't see snow around here until mid December. Today I am just prepping my garage for the winter ahead. Sliding the car sideways is so nice!

Isyta7dDBg0aumtrPkTlCcAgtz5XD-0zOR5cqPip

YNg3Qrw4uGh18_9MCxLb6ANGN1tIxPTSpHZUzEnl

• Like 1

Dollies are nice as long as you get the good ones. I have two sets of the cheaper ones,and they flat suck. One set is under my 33 Dodge sedan,and it literally takes two men to even push the car forward or backwards,never mind side to side. Seems like the wheels were drilled off-center. I use the worse set to move engines around. They roll ok with just one of them having weight on it,but when you put 4 under a car they seem to work against each other.

BTW,I'm not what I used to be,especially when it comes to flexibility,but I have no trouble picking up 200 lbs and walking across the shop floor with it,so it's not like I am feeble.

The moral to this story is if you buy dollies,do NOT buy the cheaper ones sold by Northern Hydraulics,Harbor Freight,etc,etc,etc.

The 3rd set of 4  I bought were the hydraulic pump-jack wheel dollies by Eastwood. These work like a dream. Yeah,they were expensive,but I can no longer bend over and work,and at the time I bought them my knees wouldn't bend,so I needed something I could roll over to whatever I wanted to move,and then just pump them up to move the car and then lower them so the car wheels would be on the floor again.

Truth to tell,if you have 3 or 4 cars you sometimes need to move around,buying one pair of these is cheaper than buying 3 or 4 sets of even the crap ones that don't roll worth a damn

If you only have one car to move around,do yourself a favor and step up a grade of two when you buy the standard dollies. After all,what good are they if you have to get someone to come over to help you move the car sitting on the dollies.

No,I do NOT work for or have stock in Eastwood.