Shackle removal

'54 Dodge C1 B6-  Driver side,front spring, rear of spring, bottom portion of the shackle

The problem:  It appears that the bushing that threads onto the male portion of the shackle has welded itself to the frame.  I've tried the candle trick, Kroils (and others), an air chisel, a MAPP gas torch, and a BFH with a bolt threaded into the bushing.  Nada, zip, zilch and zero.

All I've got left is to borrow a buddy's real acetylene torch and see if that has enough heat to break it loose.  I could cut the head portion off but that would leave the bushing inside. The hex head of the bushing is an odd size--somewhere between a 7/8 and a 15/16.  It measures .9140"

Any other suggestions other than high explosives?

I cut the shackles off and was left with the bushings as the shackle threaded part unscrewed with little trouble.

The bushing (female) that screws onto the shackle (male) is stuck to the frame.  The shackle is out and lying in pieces on the garage floor.

• 2 months later...

Yeah those can be tough. You need to grind and punch the rivets to get the mount removed and replace it.

You can weld it in or bolt it with a high grade bolt. I would really recommend welding it in.

This a reply video I made awhile back when someone had a similar problem.

Hope it helps

shackle mount video

48D