Frame Cross Members

I suppose I'll take the new forum out for a test drive with this question too.

Near the rear of the frame, there is a small, U shaped, cross member. I believe it's only fuction is for the spare tire carrier. This piece is installed with the "U" up, so it fills with debris. Could this piece be installed with the "U" down without any adverse effects? As I see it, the only change would be to use a longer bolt for the tire hanger.

At least that way it wouldn't be a 2" wide x 1" high x 4' long dirt tray anymore.

Merle :)

post-20-13585344507549_thumb.jpg

You may want to put some type of cushion on the face that contacts the tire so that you don't leave grooves cut into the sidewall of the tire. Just my 2 cents

I suppose I'll take the new forum out for a test drive with this question too.

Near the rear of the frame, there is a small, U shaped, cross member. I believe it's only fuction is for the spare tire carrier. This piece is installed with the "U" up, so it fills with debris. Could this piece be installed with the "U" down without any adverse effects? As I see it, the only change would be to use a longer bolt for the tire hanger.

At least that way it wouldn't be a 2" wide x 1" high x 4' long dirt tray anymore.

Merle :)

My 46 has that same system for the spare tire. I've had my U piece upside down for 5 years now. Doesn't seem to have hurt anything. I can't comment on the new bolts thing because I didn't have old ones so I was making my own anyways. Besides I don't think the old ones would have been long enough for my radials either.

Ed