Dodge 265 headmilling

otto

I all depends Otto, has this head been verified to have not been machined before.

Safe would be to .050 of an inch, radical to .080 or even .100 of an inch.

Are you running multi carbs and dual split exhaust, are you having the cam ground for more lift and duration?

I would contact Tim Kingsbury on this forum, for some advice on this topic....

Since you may have difficulty in determining if someone else has already milled the head at some point in the past, it may be best for you to cc all the combustion chambers in the head and then calculate your current compression ratio.  The hard part after that is figuring out how much to remove to get a certain compression ratio, but you can remove some and cc it again, and repeat until you get where you want to be.  A tedious way of doing it, but might be the safest.

Alternatively, maybe someone here will chime in with the original head thickness if you post your head number, and you can see how much it's been machined already.

To avoid valve clearance issues, it would also be a good idea to use modeling clay to determine how much clearance you have currently between your valves and your head.  As mentioned above, if you are planning to use a higher-lift cam, you'll need to take that into account as well.

Edited by Matt Wilson

My 55 started out at 7.25 and shaving off .050 would give me around 7.7. After measuring the head, it appeared to be stock and I was going to shave off .060 to get a little closer to 8.0. However, while your at it, I would add dual exhaust and carbs to get the most out of it. Cam would help too, but requires teardown. Besides adding a Pertronix unit, those are all the easy bolt ons.