Problem bleeder my brakes.

Satyr

Okay, I replaced my master cylinder and the brake lines on my 1952 Dodge Coupe, the brakes and wheel cylinders have been replaced before I bought the car. I have bled and bled and bled the brakes, but I can't seem to get all of the air out of the system. The first time I push down on the pedal it goes to the floor but the next two or three pumps and it pumps up very good and only goes down about 2 in. Please, someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you all in advance.

Do you start bleeding them at the wheel that is the one far away from the mastery cylinder,and then continue bleeding them until you bleed the one on the left front last?

Have you bled your master cylinder?

How do your rubber lines look? If they are old,have someone look at them to see if they are swelling when you have pumped up pressure and hold your foot on the brake pedal.

Edited by knuckleharley

You still have air in the lines. Either you didn't get it all out or you have a leak/bad wheel cylinder. Don't worry about pedal height (that is show adjustment) until you have a firm pedal.  

• Thanks 1

Spending about $20 at the local garden center and auto supply stores to get the parts to make a pressure bleeder was probably the best think I did for my brakes. Right up there with getting some sticky backed sand paper from the hardware store to use inside my drums to arc the shoes to fit the drums. Between the two (shoes arc'ed to fit the drums the are in and easy one person bleeding) the brakes stay high and firm and can lock the wheels.

Plans/description on how to make a pressure bleeder can be found with the search function on this forum or on the web in general.

• 2 weeks later...