California & The Internal Combustion Engine

Bingster

Being green is more important than classic cars!

Washington State follows California's lead into a clean up america's environment :eek:.

I'm just wondering about all the folks who won't be able to afford new electric cars or whatever the fuel might be, the lower income folks who are working for minimum wage and driving beaters to get to work. I've been there. I lived and worked in L.A. and know the demographics.  I'm just wondering how this will all work, that's all.

usually as I have seen in some heavily populated areas mainly downtown and busy shopping section that these bans do either keep the ICE car out completely or allow only the green machines to enter...banning the ICE in 10 years would not be likely unless the government is about to release some backward engineering data from salvaged space crafts....but that would be admitting a cover-up decades old....

1 hour ago, Bingster said:

I just read an article how California wants to ban the internal combustion engine within ten years.  How will that affect classic cars in California?

It won't. By then everyone in Ca will travel by butterfly wings,not cars. The roads will be wide open for antique cars until they crack and disappear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

I have enjoyed and collected old cars all my life. Guess my grandkids will have to enjoy other old collectibles such as pocket pagers, hand held non electric toothbrushes, doilies, ash trays, and such.

Maybe they can just go back to the old-timey hobby of scalp collecting?   Eliminating bloviating political creatures from the Eco-system would even be a public service.

• Haha 1

I've heard that there's going to be a huge earthquake soon & California is  going to slide into the Pacific

ocean. Problem solved! Hoping all the California members of the forum are well away from there

with their cars at that time.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

usually as I have seen in some heavily populated areas mainly downtown and busy shopping section that these bans do either keep the ICE car out completely or allow only the green machines to enter...banning the ICE in 10 years would not be likely unless the government is about to release some backward engineering data from salvaged space crafts....but that would be admitting a cover-up decades old....

Did the space crafts use that carburetor that allowed 100mpg?  Wondered whatever became of it.

Will never happen. My newest car is a 1959......No way in hell I'll ever drive an electric anything. I'm sure there is more to that law than no more internal combustion engines. Will probably be more like no more manufacturing or selling of internal combustion engine powered cars. 

43 minutes ago, plymjim said:

I've heard that there's going to be a huge earthquake soon & California is  going to slide into the Pacific

ocean. Problem solved! Hoping all the California members of the forum are well away from there

with their cars at that time.

I usually coat my cars with 3-4 coats of high solid Epoxy primer so when California slides into the Pacific my cars will be protected from the moisture

10 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

Will never happen. My newest car is a 1959......No way in hell I'll ever drive an electric anything. I'm sure there is more to that law than no more internal combustion engines. Will probably be more like no more manufacturing or selling of internal combustion engine powered cars. 

It can happen, but if it does there will be exemptions for specially registered classic cars.   Then whos to say whether you are driving it to a parade or work.

When I was younger I had a provisional license (reason not disclosed) that allowed me to only drive to work and back.  I had a full time job and my other job was drumming in various local rock bands.  I kept my drums in my daily driver (64 Nova)  therefore I was always heading to and from work.

• Like 1

They're never going to ban gasoline.  The politicians are in bed with the oil companies; its a big cycle of money and power.  If it wasn't we would've been driving cars with the Pogue carburater back in the 40s, followed by the indestructible turbine engine, and soon after that fully electric cars by the mid 60s...

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

It won't. By then everyone in Ca will travel by butterfly wings,not cars. The roads will be wide open for antique cars until they crack and disappear.

I always wondered where Tinkerbell lived.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

Did the space crafts use that carburetor that allowed 100mpg?  Wondered whatever became of it.

the Pogue carb.....stuff that legends are  made of...or am I confusing that with stuff that myths are made of....another government conspiracy...:rolleyes: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bingster said:

I just read an article how California wants to ban the internal combustion engine within ten years.  How will that affect classic cars in California?

Got a link to that article?

FWIW, pretty much every law I've seen or heard about regarding automotive equipment had a "manufactured on or after" clause in it. Heck the last I checked, the California Motor Vehicle Code still has the details about what you need to do to be legal with solid rubber tires (seen that on a big truck in the last 90 or so years?) and carbide headlights (seen that on a car in the last 100 years?). Both of those are legal but may have the same restrictions now they had way back when (e.g. there is a pretty slow maximum speed for vehicles with solid rubber tires).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mike36 said:

I always wondered where Tinkerbell lived.

San Francisco,where else?

And she has a beard and Harley tats.

8 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

I got out 20+ years ago and pretty sure I'll be able to see the splash from here.

We won't see the splash from here, but I'm sure we will hear the cheering!

Edited by Mike36
  • Like 1