correct way to hook up heater hoses on dual carb heated intake??

DJ194950

Hoping some has done this to a P-15 with a after market (Edmond's this case) that has the fittings for the heater hoses, but I think it may be overthought with many too hoses and heater heat shutoff valve as is.

Problems with some fittings and connections. I would like it a simpler setup.

I believe that I have seen a posting or two about this setup but could not locate same by searching.

Thanks for any or all help!

DJ

The heater valve at the rear of the head is the pressure side it feeds the heater.  The hose to the water pump is the suction side.  Most I have seen split the suction side to flow through the manifold connections. The deal there being that the heater valve must be open and flowing through the heater core.  I run a Fenton intake on my car and have never had a problem with low temp operation even with exhaust heat disabled and blocked.  Have driven in temps as low as twenties with no adverse effects from lack of intake heat.  Notice your in Ca. Don't know how low your temps get but for temps above freezing I don't see it as an issue, unless you are way above sea level.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:48 AM, The Oil Soup said:

So are you running it without the coolant flowing through the manifold?

The Fenton design includes a connection to the stock heat riser.  My heat riser flap is welded in the horizontal position, blocking flow to the intake.  Further, I have a stainless steel sheet metal below  the exhaust to intake gasket.  I suppose an adapter for the Fenton could have been available or made up to provide coolantcoolant flow but could only have been used with modified exhaust for duals or with headers.  I have zip tied my heater return hose to the intake but I run most of the time with the heater supply hose closed, so there is no flow through the return line.  There must be sufficient heat transfer to the intake through its proximity to the exhaust to maintain an intake temp that mitigates cold running driveability problems.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎25 at 7:47 PM, DJ194950 said:

Hoping some has done this to a P-15 with a after market (Edmond's this case) that has the fittings for the heater hoses, but I think it may be overthought with many too hoses and heater heat shutoff valve as is.

Problems with some fittings and connections. I would like it a simpler setup.

I believe that I have seen a posting or two about this setup but could not locate same by searching.

Thanks for any or all help!

DJ

With a hot water heater fitted, the diagram (instructions) supplied with the Edmunds manifold show two tee fittings - one on the inlet side to the heater and one on the outlet side from the heater - the intake  manifold tubing is in parallel with the heater core

Edited by T120

2 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

. What sort of linkage are you running?

I made my own using go kart heim joints, and hardware store stuff, threaded rod brass rod, jam nuts, and collets on home made brackets, using the standard bellcrank but with the hand throttle stuff removed.  Inelegant but effective. 

13 hours ago, T120 said:

With a hot water heater fitted, the diagram (instructions) supplied with the Edmunds manifold show two tee fittings - one on the inlet side to the heater and one on the outlet side from the heater - the intake  manifold tubing is in parallel with the heater core

Doug, this is exactly the way the water tubing on my old car is set up.

Marty

Thanks all for the replies.

I do not see the Edmunds instructions. Were they posted somewhere??

Trying to understand the reason for the way the plumbing works.

I believe we have repaired the main problem. The hole in the side of the thermostat housing had only i thread depth due the the thinness of the housing and the hose fitting pulled out.

Now has a brazed on bung with more threads. What a pain! I guess the Old thermostat housing had plenty of contamination that only took 3 tries to get the dang thing leak free.

As of today it appears to now be OK. I would still like to see the Edmunds instructions though.

Appreciate the responses!

DJ

I posted this some time ago, it appears to be a bit difficult to find.. there were 4 pages posted including drawings with hardware required to install and a drawing showing the heater hose connections, of course variations on the installation could be implemented at the discretion of the installer. The pages should able to be enlarged -

I have an offy intake and being in Florida I decided to forgo the water heater to the bottom and I also remove the chokes from the carter/weber carbs. Takes about a minute or two of feathering the throttle and she purrs like a kitten. Added about 2/3 degrees of base timing. Up north is probably a different store. Never thought the water would matter much in heating the base.

image.jpeg

• Like 1