265 Engine Color opinions

40desoto

13 hours ago, 40desoto said:

The color I'm shooting for

IMG_9005.JPG

I guess not many are big fans of this color.   I dont know but it kinda makes me like it more.  LOL  I just wanted something different and wondering if anyone has these this color done on a flathead before and would be willing to share some samples.  Silver is just not doing it for me, I see too many like that.

Another option I was thinking was a Champaign Gold metallic.  Ive always like that beige tone color with black or silver contrast. 

drums.jpg

22 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I dont think the SPITFIRE lettering was ever red from the factory. But I am positive the SPITSFIRE lettering never was in the factory.;)

Yes I noticed that, very cool. :lol:

Just saw an opportunity to bring up the subject as many paint letters red.

Edited by chrysler1941

• 5 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 5:46 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Pretty cool rail for the plug wires, did you make that?

C39 Town and Country Engine (2).JPG

I know this is not a color other than silver but I was trying to get as close to original color as I could. VHT Cast Aluminum:

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

Some engine colors might look odd depending on the firewall color.

I just woke up from a Rip Van Winkle nap, and I don't know how old this post is just saw it for the first time. But apparently this Don guy in the first picture stole my work bench and moved it to his shop ! At least according to all the messy tools laying on top, I swear that's how mine looks day in,  day out. I clean it promise not to let it get bad, end of day right back where I started I tell people I keep it that way on purpose otherwise I cant find tool and concentrate on job at hand  if not in that condition!.Just kidding you Don, besides my bench wouldn't support a fully dressed flat head. My 2 cents worth, all the colors look good, because none of mine are painted, just caked in grease LOL

• Thanks 1

This might be an old thread - but just for the sake of it - I'm painting mine Chrysler Industrial Red. Seems fitting for an industrial 265 outfitting with OEM dual carbs and dual exhaust along with a "Spitfire" head to give it a factory hot rod feel. I think the truck is going to be Blue... so it should stand out.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dozerman51 said:

I painted my IND-7 grey and highlighted the "Spitfire" in red along with other colors on the head. I won't tell you what color the grey is used on as you would ban me from the forum. LOL.

truck4.JPG

So far, I think this may be the one I like best.   I'm really leaning toward this color scheme - gray with black accents - on my 265, whenever I get it assembled.  I'm also digging the chrome covers on the head bolts.

Edited by Matt Wilson

On a more serious technical note - will painting over sealing/mounting  surfaces such as exhaust, intake, water pump, etc cause sealing problems?  I copies some pictires from an old thread over a THE HAMB site and was wondering.

Hope its ok with the OP that I borrowed these pictures.  He might be on this site as well.

I always make it a point to mask off the sealing surfaces, I honestly don't know if it makes a difference I just consider it the "right" way to paint an engine.  After I clean the engine I also start with a good two part epoxy primer, epoxy has good adhesion and if the primer sticks the paint will to.

I never considered beige/tan for an engine color but it looks like a nice choice.  I always thought the stock silver was too easy to smudge and too hard to keep clean.

• Like 1

In the process of building a 265 now block will be Black with Aluminum Silver highlights and head with Red lettering on Spitfire and Black Lightning bolts. chrome nut covers ceramic Silver intake/exhaust with triple Weber 32/36 progressive Carbs from Redline