265 Engine Color opinions

40desoto

I know this is not much of a mechanical or technical post but I paint cars for a hobby and value appearance as much as I'm starting to value performance, engineering, and craftsmanship.

I have my 265 in the shop right now and starting to plan the paint details and I'm considering a paint a Cummins Beige color.  Has anyone ever seen a mopar flathead this color or have a picture of a sample they don't mind sharing?  Or, if anyone can share a picture of a detailed Mopar Flathead that is not silver, cast iron, red or black in color.  For some reason I see most within these colors.

The engine will be a 265 with Spitfire head, AOK triple, and split exhaust.  Thanks in advance for any pictures or input you dont mind sharing

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Show him yours Don C.

I love Don's engine color but I have a huge problem with the non-brass temperature sensor fitting.  Just doesn't go well with the orange spark plug wire boot.......

Haha. I'm kidding thanks for sharing Don

2 minutes ago, garbagestate 44 said:

I went with sort of a schoolbus yellow. If I had it to do over again it would be a pale green.

PART_1451618689968_IMG_20151231_164120490.jpg

Pale green is an awesome color and my second choice.   Did you also paint the spark plug threads?  Ive always been cautious to do so 

1 minute ago, 40desoto said:

Hey Reg, of all those cars you have Im sure you have one or two that you would love to show off that engine color.

You would be bored......they are all Silver.

I did do this to one of my 23" 230's just to mess with lookers.

1 spitsfire 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 40desoto said:

Pale green is an awesome color and my second choice.   Did you also paint the spark plug threads?  Ive always been cautious to do so 

I guess I did.That picture is a couple of years old. It was a warm day in December so I rushed. I had the head off to address a stuck piston ring that was giving me lousy compression.

OK thank you all for sharing.

On a more serious technical note - will painting over sealing/mounting  surfaces such as exhaust, intake, water pump, etc cause sealing problems?  I copies some pictires from an old thread over a THE HAMB site and was wondering.

Hope its ok with the OP that I borrowed these pictures.  He might be on this site as well.

beige_flathead_2.jpg

beige_flathead.jpg

beige_flathead_2_prep1.jpg

beige_flathead_2_prep.jpg

I like em stock color silver....

C39 Town and Country Engine (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Pewter Gray metallic is, as I recollect,  a 77  Dodge Aspen color.   It  is close enough to aluminum so I did not lose any points in a POC judged meet.

I applied it directly over bare cast iron.  It has stood up well  since 1983 and 50 000 miles of use.  Not sure if any products today are as good as Centari.

17 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Im partial Silver, but anything but blue, too much like Ford and Chevy stovebolt 6s....LOL

The LA engines were blue, but a different movie, your engine your choice, anything but blue is my thoughts....LOL

Many of the later mopar engines used a blue very similar to Dons. IDK about the Ford flatheads but weren't the Chevy 6s a more grey blue? This is the latest one I did.

IMG_20170409_172405.jpg

When I was a teenager, I spent many hours standing on my head detailing and painting several engines which would have benefitted from some internal work as well.

Amazing how much better they ran !

In addition,  there is that tang of burned paint and blow-by accented by whiffs of gasoline.   I might have used it as an aftershave but somehow the young ladies I  dated did not much like it.

10 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

LST?      Large slow target.......lol. The motion is less on the fantail, but still enough to make you puke.

Didn't know what an LST ship was until I looked it up just now.That is exactly what it was. I was in the Army and I volunteered to ride back in it from Thailand to Hawaii.