leather tie rod ends

belvedere666

I just purchased a set pf tie rod ends that have leather boots. The description say they are "greaseable" . the leather is pretty dry but not brittle. Do i grease them through the grease fitting and leave the outside dry or is there a recommended procedure for greasing the outside of the leather for flexibility?

I would soak them for a couple of days in neets foot oil, from the hardware store, or just paint it on and let it sit, maybe work the leather a bit between aplications for a couple of days till you are satisfied with their pliability.  Then grease the zirks with a manual grease gun, squeezing the leather to distribute and to keep from over filling.  I don't think you want to over fill them with a powered gun like the rubber ones,leather has got some give to it but won't return to its non-stretched form like rubber will.  The neets foot will also give them some protection from the elements, and you might put on your maintenance schedule to brush them up a couple or three times each driving season.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, greg g said:

I would soak them for a couple of days in neats foot oil, from the hardware store, or just paint it on and let it sit, maybe work the leather a bit between aplications for a couple of days till you are satisfied with their pliability.  Then grease the zirks with a manual grease gun, squeezing the leather to distribute and to keep from over filling.  I don't think you want to over fill them with a powered gun like the rubber ones,leather has got some give to it but won't return to its non-stretched form like rubber will.  The neats foot will also give them some protection from the elements, and you might put on your maintenance schedule to brush them up a couple or three times each driving season.

OK

15 minutes ago, greg g said:

OK

You didn't even ask how many neats would have to harvest their feet to protect your vintage parts!!!! Or you are incredulous of the response, product, and procedure....  Horse people use it all the time to keep their tack supple, and everybody knows it is better with supple tack....

I remember reading that the tierod end makers used to have to supply crutches to the neats when they lost their feet...........................oops...............wheres my corner.....found it....andyd

• Haha 1

The service manual states every 1000 miles that there is a need for Kneading the four  leather tie rod boots carefully and undoing any folds and creases,,,,. preferably @ temps exceeding 85 degree's using an equivalent conditioner to "Pecard's' suspension boot leather softner or..... Piglet Oil "Saddlerswax ".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I remember reading that the tierod end makers used to have to supply crutches to the neats when they lost their feet...........................oops...............wheres my corner.....found it....andyd

Andy...now that you have found your corner, stay in it !!!

Vaseline petroleum jelly can also be used. Rubbed it into my baseball glove in 1960. Made it very soft and waterproof. I spent some time rubbing it in and wiping surface dry when done. I still have that glove, and it's just as good as it was 57 years ago.

• Like 1