Dual (Split) Exhaust Manifold

Dennis Detweiler

When I had the 41 Plymouth I wanted to use Fenton headers however as the car was RHD the steering box lived where the front headers wanted to go so I found that Plymouth used at least 3 different outlet exhaust manifolds, one that dumped between cylinder 2&3, another that dumped between cylinder 5 & 6 and a third that dumped at cylinder # 7(lol)........so I got hold of a pair of manifolds, cut the front and rear off each and had a local blacksmith weld them shut.........as the stock 41 Plymouth setup used the outlet that dumped between cylinder 4 & 5 I knew that would clear so I've just mocked up the front pipe as shown.............I ended up selling the car & engine before the install but this pic shows the setup...........to be honest if you have a split setup someone has spent a couple of bucks already so I'd use it...........BTW, welcome to the forum from downunder.......Andy Douglas   

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

16 hours ago, Andydodge said:

When I had the 41 Plymouth I wanted to use Fenton headers however as the car was RHD the steering box lived where the front headers wanted to go so I found that Plymouth used at least 3 different outlet exhaust manifolds, one that dumped between cylinder 2&3, another that dumped between cylinder 5 & 6 and a third that dumped at cylinder # 7(lol)........so I got hold of a pair of manifolds, cut the front and rear off each and had a local blacksmith weld them shut.........as the stock 41 Plymouth setup used the outlet that dumped between cylinder 4 & 5 I knew that would clear so I've just mocked up the front pipe as shown.............I ended up selling the car & engine before the install but this pic shows the setup...........to be honest if you have a split setup someone has spent a couple of bucks already so I'd use it...........BTW, welcome to the forum from downunder.......Andy Douglas   

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

Andydodge, always wondered how this engine performed for you?

How did it stack up against your "318", or I think you have a 318 in the other car.

• Thanks 1

55Fargo, unfortunately I sold the car, the 41 Plymouth Coupe and 230 engine before I built the engine so couldn't give you a report however I expected it would have been a substantial improvement over the stock 201, I had also obtained from the US an S10 pickup T5 gearbox which I hoped to improve the highway legs.........the 40 Dodge with the 318 would not have had to worry too much but who knows......lol.........the pic that Don Coatney posted is essentially what I ended up with just that I mocked up the front pipe to get measurements to clear the RHD steering box which lived between the oil & fuel pumps............andyd      

• Like 1