Got myself a 1947 Dodge D24

tom'sB2B

I found this car on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. For the price he was asking I couldn't let it go.  The PO put quite a bit of money in this car: new tires, gas tank, brakes, interior, starter, generator,exhaust , radiator,    I also got an extra engine with it. An extra carb and three extra generators. 

I replaced the head gasket because it was leaking coolant . The people who put interior in glues the carpet and foam pad to the rusty floor pan. I'm working right now on cleaning that mess up. Rebuilt carb because PO painted it and the paint got into the carb and gummed everything up. Seems to idle and drive pretty good. Need to fix auto choke yet. Paint isn't perfect and it has a few small spots of rust and will need new window rubber all the way around

having fun with it!

IMG_1330.JPG

• Like 5

You got lucky when you found a tudor that nice. They seem to be a lot rarer than the coupes and 4drs.

This car will be a driver. I'm not into cosmetics. I want to eventually do an engine rebuild and a disc brake conversion. I would like to push my luck some day seeing the country in the spirit of bamfords garage. I'm intrigued by the idea of having a car that I can travel in and also being intimate enough with its engineering to know how to fix it on the road. I've got a ways to go before then. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on finding your D-24.  I've owned my D-24 since 1964 when my Dad bought it for me to drive.  It's a 1st series 1949.  I drove it in High School

and Tech School.  I'm planning to drive it to my 50th High School reunion next year.  Oh and it's a 4dr sedan.  I never had any complaints about the brakes on

mine,  IMHO they're pretty good when adjusted properly and that's not easy to do without the proper tools.  Back in the late 60's I used to drive it on 500 mile

trips between school and home,  those flatheads are pretty happy between 55-60 mph which is where I usually drove mine.  My car has always been garaged

since new

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Randy Bassham said:

Congratulations on finding your D-24.  I've owned my D-24 since 1964 when my Dad bought it for me to drive.  It's a 1st series 1949.  I drove it in High School

and Tech School.  I'm planning to drive it to my 50th High School reunion next year.  Oh and it's a 4dr sedan.  I never had any complaints about the brakes on

mine,  IMHO they're pretty good when adjusted properly and that's not easy to do without the proper tools.  Back in the late 60's I used to drive it on 500 mile

trips between school and home,  those flatheads are pretty happy between 55-60 mph which is where I usually drove mine.  My car has always been garaged

since new

I love hearing stories like that,and envy you all the pleasure you have had from enjoying your car all these years. My father hated old cars,and the first 3 I bought with money I earned working on a shrimp boat or doing construction labor summers while in high school,he sold while I was at school and kept the money for himself. I even found out later there were relatives that knew I loved old cars when I was a kid that wanted to GIVE me the old cars they had been driving,and he wouldn't let them do it. One was a 33 Chevy Master 3 window coupe a relative had just driven from Tacoma to Norfolk,Va,so you know it was in good condition. That one he did give to me,but I didn't know that until later. I was told he gave it to my father,and my father called a junkyard and had them come get it for junk because he didn't want it in the yard.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Sad 1

A friend of mine found one of those as nice (or maybe even a little nicer) than yours. As soon as he got it, he chopped it and put a 318 in it. The chop was so bad he had to panel paint it to obscure the shoddy bodywork. A little more  misguided customizing and he ended up with what we all called "The Road Toad". He is no longer a friend.

"knuckleharley", I thought my dad was the only one who pulled **** like that. I found out later that he had been a mechanic early in life and was going to make sure I didn't "end up" like that. If he only knew what he actually did.

Edited by Tubman

I had a friend who had a 48 Dodge two door sedan back in the 80s.  He painted it light green.  Your car looks great with that light blue color!  Dodge made some beautiful car ads back in the 40s saying "Smoothest Car Afloat!".  I guess they were comparing the Dodge to a boat? 

Edited by MarcDeSoto

On 9/23/2017 at 12:31 AM, tom'sB2B said:

This car will be a driver. I'm not into cosmetics. I want to eventually do an engine rebuild and a disc brake conversion. I would like to push my luck some day seeing the country in the spirit of bamfords garage. I'm intrigued by the idea of having a car that I can travel in and also being intimate enough with its engineering to know how to fix it on the road. I've got a ways to go before then. 

I've got a D24. I bought it in 98 with a hole in cylinder 5. I had the engine rebuilt, replaced rusted out floor and rocker panels with my welder, and put it back together with the help of a few gentleman on this site. It's been my daily driver at times except in the winters of course. I drive her back and forth to Michigan every year. One of my favorite places to be is behind the wheel of my D24. Here is a photo of her on the way back from MI.

Just posting all this to let you know of the fun that's in store for you.

IMG_3783.JPG

• Like 2

The guys who put the interior in for the PO

glued the carpet to the rusty floor. I spent last week pulling the interior and carpet, grinding the floor down to bare metal and treating it. There are a few rust pin holes in the floor that I will have to tackle at a later date as well as making new drip sills which are shot. The front seat was a bear to get back in. Many curse words were necessary to get it bolted in

52E0A462-9804-49DD-AF9E-9361E7BA7DF1_zps

22 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I had a friend who had a 48 Dodge two door sedan back in the 80s.  He painted it light green.  Your car looks great with that light blue color!  Dodge made some beautiful car ads back in the 40s saying "Smoothest Car Afloat!".  I guess they were comparing the Dodge to a boat? 

Driving the D24 today felt like a boat, gliding over every bump and the big hood in front felt like the prow of a ship. Very cool!

• Like 2

I always loved the 42-48 Dodges.  I love that side opening hood.  I think it was the last car that did that!  There was a totally restored 48 Dodge red convertible for sale on Classic Auto Trader for 25K!  I called and it was a Chrysler dealership.  Someone traded it in!  But it had already sold.  Marc.

10 hours ago, Tubman said:

Early '50's Buicks had side opening hoods; they opened from either side and could be removed completely to work on the engine (you needed a friend or two to accomplish that, though).

Same as atleast the R series IHC trucks