No reverse or first gear

James G

1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe.  Flathead 6 cyl. 

I  have no first gear or reverse. First acts like third and reverse acts like second. 

I  replaced the motor mounts and the selector rod rubber bushing.  I have also adjusted the selector rod in and out in small intervals multiple times but there is never a hint of first or reverse.  

What else can I do or need to look at?

Thanks,

James

Part of your "H" pattern is working.  Second Gear is Up, and Third Gear is Down.  That part of the linkage is working.  That's the control rod that works the forward lever at the transmission

You pull the gearshift toward you, and you think you should get Reverse at Up and First Gear at Down.  But the linkage is not transferring that back-and-forth motion to the transmission.  Something from your motor mount work or rubber bushing work may have thrown the selector rod and linkage enough out of adjustment. 

Loosen or disconnect the selector rod at the steering column, and manually push the rod so that the "C" shaped lever at the transmission is as far back as it goes, engaging Reverse or First.  How far off is the upper end of the rod from the rest of the linkage? 

Is it possible that the selector rod got bent, which would shorten it?  Has the location of the  transmission to the steering column changed? 

In cases like this, the solutions are elusive, but finally found to be something simple.

Good Luck.  

(I just noticed something in the instructions for adjusting the selector rod:   The transmission should be in neutral, while taking the slack out of the selector rod.  At the transmission, check that the "C"shaped lever is truly in the neutral position.  Just one more thing to check .) 

Edited by DonaldSmith
additional thought

Thanks Donald, I'll check those things out tomorrow.  I didn't have first or reverse before doing the motor mounts hoping that would fix it.  I was thinking about doing exactly like you said, disconnecting the selector rod and trying to get reverse that way.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

My solution, floor shifter on a three speed.  

Regarding your need. The shifter column shaft is mounted by two Phillips heads screws at the very top just under the steering wheel. If there is even an iota of looseness there, you are out at first until that connection is SECURE!  

IMG_1044.JPG

• Like 1

Paul why did you not do that with an OD transmission ?

Did you sell them all? :(

DJ

1. I'm not sure the side linkages are the same, 2. I did not want the hassle of installing an OD and potential problems on a for sale car, 3. I think my best selling market is to the coast surfer / fisherman individuals, 4. With bucket seats, a center consol a floor shifter seems a better "I like that" impression to a buyer, 5. Driving habits at the coast are slower than here in the valley thus the need for an OD is marginal and probably will not help sell the car.

i want to do same on my B3B.  I think some mods will be required for that casting. But that is future. So that is my short answer. Yes, I've sold all OD's I've bought thus far. 

So, today I disconnected the selector rod near the steering column and then climbed under the car.  I moved the selector lever back and forth and moved the gear selector back and forth and tried it each time in what I thought was either first gear or reverse.  Still no change.  As a matter of fact when I would move the selector lever back and forth it didn't feel like it was doing anything.  There was absolutely no resistance on it what so ever.  I believe something is broken or worn inside the gear casing.  Not sure I want to tackle taking that apart or farm it out to a real mechanic. 

Disconnect the drive shaft at the U joint, then release the clutch, possibly tie the pedal down, , then you can rotate the transmission  with the ebrake drum and go through the gears. I cannot image that you have a faulty transmission , that said, the top lever arm must be down in the slot before you tighten that top nut. Check that out ascwell. That top bolt will want to drop away when you start the nut so you must hold it in the raised position or the lever will rotate on the bolt and not rotate / switch gears.

to the pros, I'm on pain meds just mow so I may be a bit spaced out.  Oh well, I may be levelheaded tomorrow, let's hope so.

paul

IMG_8042.PNG

The selector lever will rotate a long way, but you will only feel resistance at the end of its travel. When you think it's at its max travel, push it harder and you will feel it pushing against a spring. This is it's only useful travel. 

When the selector lever just touches the spring resistance, the shift link rod should be in neutral. Adjust the linkage to connect to the the column lever with both levers in neutral. 

Then when you pull back on the column lever the selector lever will move to the first/reverse position. When you let go of the column lever, the selector lever will spring back to second/high position.

Well, I bit the bullet today and pulled the transmission out. I took it to a local transmission shop that has a guy familiar with these transmissions.   The first thing he said when he moved the selector lever is it's disconnected inside.  Hopefully he gets a chance to look at it tomorrow and I'll give you an update soon.   

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up.  We found that the Gearshift Selector Cam and Shaft inside the gear case housing is broken.  Now I'm trying to locate one. Can anyone provide a part number for this and/or tell me where to find one?

1507559490789.jpg

Edited by James G

"Paul why did you not do that with an OD transmission ?       Did you sell them all? :("

I just revisited this thread. Since the earlier  post I have purchased another R 10 overdrive. Because the OD has a solenoid  behind the levers I had to refab the mounting which I have done. Since I've had a lot of down time lately, my research has revealed how to mount the OD behind my B3B clutch housing. So this OD will go under my truck with a floor shifter attached. I love this hobby! 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1