Learning curves

pflaming

With a total knee replacement healing ahead of schedule, I read the forum maybe a little too much.  Yet it is interesting to see the very learning curve questions, I asked six years back and I affirm those who KNOW HOw THINGS MUST BE, who keep things accurate. Good luck to all and stay the course, if things take a turn for the worse. I've been there! 

I see a PT tomorrow. Seems I'm doing ok. My range of motion is at 98 degrees working for at least 120. My leg is 3/4" from straight and that is quite good also being just 16 days from surgery. Still use swollen, that down some will help but that can take six months or longer. Increasing ROM is when the pain returns so exercising is not ice cream time. Others on the Forum have done this, so it will get done. 

This morning I've been reading up on things t wii need to do. This is interesting.

" I know a lot of guys sand blast their parts, others do electrolysis, both work good. I did a little of each but I did a whole lot of molasses. I don't know how many have heard of it but if you have plenty of time and are in no hurry, have plent of room for a livestock watering trough or an old hot tub, molasses can save you a lot of money. I bought 6 5gal buckets of molasses. I mixed it 10 to 1 to fill a 250 gallon trough, and 1 55 gallon drum for other  parts I had to hang long ways. Don't sell it short because it works well. I filled the drum and the trough with all the parts they would hold, submerged them in the molassesbath and waited 2 weeks. I took them out, pressure washed them and rinsed the rust away. To prevent flash rusting I wiped them down with phosphoric acid. I primed them with epoxy primer as soon as I could after they were dry and clean. This is what the metal looks like after the molasses, phosphoric acid, prior to priming" 

TKS for asking. 

Paul

Paul, Im glad to hear that your surgery went well and that your doing good with your recovery. As for spending time on the computer. Please be careful and don't spend more than a hr or so at a time sitting be it at the PC, in a vehicle ,plane etc without getting up and move around for at least 10 to 15 minutes. It will go a long way towards keeping DVT's / blood clots from forming in your legs. That's how I got mine and ended up with the massive saddle pulmonary embolism that almost did me in. 

John 

Edited by John Rogers

John, TKS, yes I find I do better, feel better, etc when I get up and moving. Chairs, recliners, sofas are not my long term friends today. I'm planning to build me a molasses bath. Since my parts are small I think I can get by with a strong 5 gallon bucket. Or put my truck into an above ground swimming pool for a couple of weeks!!!

17 minutes ago, pflaming said:

John, TKS, yes I find I do better, feel better, etc when I get up and moving. Chairs, recliners, sofas are not my long term friends today. I'm planning to build me a molasses bath. Since my parts are small I think I can get by with a strong 5 gallon bucket. Or put my truck into an above ground swimming pool for a couple of weeks!!!

Paul,

Now that would make really quick work out of derusting your truck! When I was researching using molasses, there was a tale of someone who put a vehicle in a pool of molasses and the pool leaked. The guy wasn't paying attention, leaving it in there over a long stretch of time, long after the molasses leaked out. He returned to a worthless pile of rust. I know from my own experience with it and the need to keep the parts submerged until ready to rinse off. Anything I had that breached the water(molasses) line, rusted like crazy.

Given my experience, the might be some truth to the story.