1937 Pickup, Oil Filter? Many other questions, all original, family owned since new

esteban

5 minutes ago, greg g said:

Are you talking about cleaning out the pan?  Scrape it out, clean it with mineral spirits, or degreaser like GUNK.  But be careful that stuff could be lead pudding.  Gloves, and safety glasses highly recommended.  Disposing of it can be tricky also.

No I mean the crank/rods. The oil pan will be easy as it’s now removed so I can go to town on it. But I have no intentions of removing the crank, so I’d like to clean that up before I close it back up

Just pull a couple of bearing caps both rods and mains for a look.  Unless you are going for a total rebuild it is probably best to let well enough alone.  You start knocking stuff off it is going to get circulated around.  You can clean the pick up and screen, but I wouldn't go poking around where none have gone before.

16 hours ago, esteban said:

No I mean the crank/rods. The oil pan will be easy as it’s now removed so I can go to town on it. But I have no intentions of removing the crank, so I’d like to clean that up before I close it back up

Here's what the inside of my 33 Plymouth looked like when I dropped the pan to remove the layer of sludge in it.  Too many nooks and crannies to clean by hand so I just cleaned out the pan and pick up screen and buttoned it back up and will only use non-detergent oil now so this crap doesn't let loose.

1 33 Plym sludge 1.jpg

1 33 plym sludge 2.jpg

• Like 1

I am asking, because I do not know. My first thoughts would be to clean the pan and then use a decent oil and mix in some transmission fluid to clean the engine.

Would all the crap plugging up the oil pickup screen be the concern? Would pulling the pan a second time and clean again be acceptable?