Distributor/Points Wiring

mrahc

I recently had an issue with my Pertronix ignitor (which is being replaced under warranty), but I had kept my points as a backup.  My problem is that I don't remember how the wires were connected, and I stupidly forgot to take pictures before installing.  I have also been unable to find any clear pictures of the distributor that I could replicate.  Can somebody tell me where the condenser is connected, and where this extra wire is supposed to be attached?

20170919_133830.jpg

We'll try: 

Your red condenser wire goes where the blue-sheathed strip goes, to the points. 

The loose flexible black wire connects the distributor plate to ground.

Your in-place flexible wire connects the outside wire to the moving part of the points.  

Points closed, coil grounded.  Points open, coil generated high voltage for spark. 

59c1747431ffa_outwithpointssystem(1).JPG.672cdcf958bef3d3f2d169e1a4dafec8.JPG

Edited by DonaldSmith
additional info

Oops; disoriented. You are holding your distributor about a quarter turn from mine.  OK, start with the straps, at 10:30 and 4:30 in your photo.. 

In your photo, at 9:00, is where the external wire connects.  Attach one end of your loose black wire to the open screw hole.  Connect the other end of that wire to the screw where the flat springs from the points are connected; we see the side of that screw.  The red wire from the condenser has to attach to the points somewhere there.  My photo shows the strap between the components there. 

The flexible wire which is already in place grounds the moving distributor plate to the distributor body.  

I hope this answer is quick enough for you.  I type faster than I should, and have to go back and fix the typoooos.   

That makes perfect sense.  I was thinking that the external screw was for a ground wire, but that's going to be power from the coil, and then the distributor body itself grounds to the motor.  I guess I'll just have to ground the coil separately.  Thanks again.

Ground the coil separately?  But wait!  Remember, the Pertronix circuit is backwards from the usual breaker-point circuit.  Assuming you still have positive ground wiring: 

The hot wire from the ignition goes to the (-) post of the coil.  The coil is grounded from its (+) post to the distributor.  The points ground the circuit.  

Points close,. coil energized.   Points open, zap.