1 ton to 1/2 ton front end swap

Bigphillip79

On 2/27/2018 at 7:50 PM, Mike36 said:

I was told a few years ago that non split ring wheels from a International truck would fit these 1 ton Dodges. Unfortunately I do not remember the model or year range of the IH truck. Does anyone have a interchange manual that contains that information?

pretty sure most of the 1 ton wheels from 50 on from Dodge were split lock ring...why not use those?

Nobody touching split ring wheels up here, I sold a couple rims to another member and I tried two or three shops..nobody would even remove the old tires...which is just stupid, because no danger on removal end, but they all said they are banned from working on them.  I imagine every state or even tire shop down there sets their own rules..but if there was a solid rim option, I would want it over the ring style.

I did many split rings years ago. If the wheels and rings were in good shape and were installed properly, there was no problem. Inflation was the danger if the rings weren't installed properly. Didn't have  a fancy cage, but we put ring to the ground, chain through the wheel holes and across the thread, and put the air to them. Never had a problem.
The suggestion of lowering a hoist on top of them during inflation sounds good, too - if you have one.

According to the parts book, the front axle is the same. number for B, C, & D.

Spindles for B & C the same. D is different.

King pin for B, C, D all the same

Brake support (backing plate) for C & D the same. B is different.

Brake shoes for C & D the same. B is different.

Drums and hubs are different for each, just to complicate things.

So according to this, you could leave your axle on and put B or C spindles on it, as long as you use the complete brake system, drums, backing plate, and hubs for the spindle you are putting on.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps.

The parts manual I used was a 1953 version for all B series trucks 1948 - 1953. I understand there were some changes 1954+, but I know not what. 

Perhaps you got something other than 1948 - 53 pins? I have no idea.

The king pin changed mid way through the B2 series. There is a serial number break listed in the parts book.

Without double checking, I don't believe the spindles are the same between B and C series. I recall that the 3/4 ton spindle uses a slightly larger inner bearing. I remember this because the spacer sleeve is different when you get a kit from Rusty Hope.

This age and memory thing sucks. I was going from memory on research for a B1D possible swap. I went back to the book. Merle is absolutely right..There was indeed a  change in mid B2. So back to Bigphilips original post, swap is possible, but check serial numbers of both donor and receiver to confirm compatability. I think the axles spring mounts may all be the same. Change was probably to the knuckle/king pin mounts mid B2. But don't quote me on that!

This change may well explain the king pin differences 4mula - dlx referred to as well.

Sigh.