1 ton to 1/2 ton front end swap

Bigphillip79

Looking to make my 52 1 Ton more drivable. Like to put a Cherokee rear end under it for better gearing. For the front end to match I was thinking I could drop the one ton unit altogether and just bolt up the 1/2 ton beam and spindles. Is it that easy. Will the half tone beam bolt up to the 1 ton springs?

Its the exact same front end basically, but the spindles are bigger and different bolt pattern for the rims...if you can find a 1/2 ton axle it will bolt right up, and I would recommend losing a leaf or two out of the front for comfort....I did this exact swap when I built my truck...just remember, only every other spring...so from bottom up, leave 1 take away 2, leave 3 take away 4 etc..

• 3 months later...

I am getting ready to replace my bias ply tires on my 55 C1D6 dump truck with new radial tires but was looking to get away from the split rim with tube. Do you happen to know if there is a modern day rim that will fit the one ton axles?

2016-09-05_08_46_08.jpg

I have seen a 1 ton IH pickup at shows that is running tubed radials on the 6 lug Budd locking ring rims.  I also think Mark is doing the same thing.  I spoke to the guy w the IH, he said it rides and drives much nicer and that he hasn't had any problems in the 3 yrs he's had the tires on the rims.   When I was driving tractor trailer in the late 70's, they put radials on the locking ring Dayton wheels w/o incident and they made quite a difference in the ride and traction in snow.   I have been told by a  local truck tire guy that the narrow locking ring on our 1 tons may not be wide enough to properly support the bead of a tubed radial and advised me against going that route, so I bought a complete set of 7:00-16 bias ply tires.  That's just two different opinions, but I'm running duals on my rear, and I know even with the dual offet rims sidewall clearance between the tires would be an issue w radials.   Hence my decision to stay bia ply.   Short answer to your question, there is a 17.5 drop center that will fit your lug pattern, but I don't know if it will clear the rear drums.

Well, your right. I do have split "ring" rims. The bias ply tires I am currently running on the front are wore down to where the tread is no more. We use the truck a lot. Making deliveries all through out Illinois. The "split" anything when carrying a load ( usually a ton and 3/4 ) is no longer considered a safe wheel. Rightfully so. I have seen rims come apart ( yes split ring ones) while driving down the interstate and local county roads. Our local tire shop has put tires on for me before but only thinking we were not still running like we use to. People see the age of the truck and think it is just for show. I let them think what they want. Now it is time for tires and this old memory seems to recall Ford having a tubeless rim that fit the one tons of Dodge. Either Ford or Dodge came out with a rim from its camper line that fit the old Dodge one tons. Anyway, I started searching. Seems I am not the only one who remembers them. As I tried a few of our local salvage yards they too recall the tubeless rims that would interchange between Ford & Dodge. Turns out when scrap prices went past $200/ton the salvage yards started cleaning up their act. So apparently, in our area, the old went to make new. I am worried about the rims on my truck. Metal can get fatigued. Add in rust and I just don't want to take the risk. I checked for like rims in salvage yards and they all are much worse than mine. That is if/when you can find them. I see all these CAR specialty shows on TV so I wonder if anyone knows of a company that can fabricate rims for me? We have since done a repaint on the truck. Turned out pretty good. Not a restoration, just a rust stopping paint job. Not sure this old truck will ever get a restoration. Just like me, I think it's time of being productive is drawing to an end. But I sure would like to get this rim thing resolved.

IMG_0637.JPG

Not sure if I understand, I think you want to keep it stock but move to a modern wheel ?

I wonder about having wheel spacers/adapters made? Move from the stock bolt pattern to a modern 1 ton 8 lug wheel?

Would be a one time expense for the adapters, may save money for tire and wheels in the future.

The WheelSmith does not do that bolt pattern. As per Rick from WheelSmith. He did offer up trying Custom & Commercial Wheels of Bloomington Ca. 909-357-3505 ask for Ray. So I called. Don't know who I talked to ( he would not offer up his name). All I need to do is ship my rims to them where they will cut out the center and re weld it into a new rim. Got a rough quote of $200/wheel. Plus shipping costs to & from Illinois. Amazing state California. I am sure money grows on trees there.

I did not think would be a adapter already made, not enough demand. I wonder what a local machine shop would charge to make 4 of them?

Really could be way out of the ball park, I do not have first hand knowledge of the dimensions of the current bolt pattern and needed work to get to desired bolt pattern.

It may be simple or it might be a nightmare. Just something to stop by and ask a local machine shop what they would suggest.

The difference in the future, would be to buy wheels off the shelf, or from a local craigs list or auto salvage yard.

Ok, I called Stahl/Steel. Talked with Lenny "No integrity lost with their adapters." Can do any conversion I choose. 5 lug Dodge to 8 lug Dodge, 5 lug Dodge to 6 lug Ford excetera, etc. Sounds fantastic. How about a quote? Are you sitting down? $200/adapter. YIKES! I don't think people from the West coast or East coast have ever been to southern Illinois. By the time I buy new rims I think the outcome $$$$$ will be about the same.

With coal on its way out ( Southern Illinois lively hood) most if not all our machine shops have been dissolved. I have an appointment later this week with one near the middle of the state. I guess I have been too long on the farm. I fear the money it will take to get this resolved exceeds my abilities. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, B1B Keven said:

If you can't find an axle locally, I know of one here in WA. Complete, drum to drum.

Is it possible that front axle is still available? How about the rear one?

I  could be interested.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:55 PM, Bigphillip79 said:

Looking to make my 52 1 Ton more drivable. Like to put a Cherokee rear end under it for better gearing. For the front end to match I was thinking I could drop the one ton unit altogether and just bolt up the 1/2 ton beam and spindles. Is it that easy. Will the half tone beam bolt up to the 1 ton springs?

When I was on the web the other day.....wish I could remember where.....a man had used the rear axle like Paul did from the little square suv/XJ jeep cherokee, but he also mentioned that he used the front straight axle off of  it also as it was a 2 wheel drive model......and it rode  real well, something to investigate if you are interested. disc brakes...etc. 5x4.5 pattern

2014-04-22072214.jpg

7277600489_large.jpg

That's not a drop center front axle.  If you were able to have mounts fabbed up that fit your front spring centers, the front end would be 8-10" higher than it is now.   The six lug Ford rims that you reference were 17.5" if I remember correctly.  Not much luck finding tires to fit them.   There is nothing wrong with locking ring rims providing they're in good shape, clean, and mounted by someone that knows how to handle them.

I was told a few years ago that non split ring wheels from a International truck would fit these 1 ton Dodges. Unfortunately I do not remember the model or year range of the IH truck. Does anyone have a interchange manual that contains that information?

You might try Stockton Wheel. They specifically mention conversion of split ring wheels. It is in California so $$ may be an issue for you. They did my wheels and did a nice job, they have been doing wheels forever.