Pilothouse spotted locally

Worden18

The other day we were driving through Winona, MN (just 35 min from my home) and my son spotted this Pilothouse truck in the alley behind a small car dealer.  I swung the car around so we could take a closer look.  Not sure if it is for sale or not as the area where it sat had other old cars/trucks there, including 2 pre-war Mopars (one was a Desoto).  Don't ask me why I didn't take pics of those as well; I wasn't thinking.   The lean-to where the pre-war cars were was attached to the dealership, so all the cars might be his personal stash, not sure.  The last time the truck was licensed was 1990.  Looked like it had the typical rust and wear and tear, but overall it has potential.  I'm gonna try and get back there and find out the story behind it.  

Can anyone tell me what year it is?  My first guess was 1949 but I'm still learning about the grill differences, etc. on these trucks.  Also, is that bumper factory?  

I guess I was excited to see it because you just never see these trucks around here....

Pilothouse (2).JPG

Pilothouse (3).JPG

Pilothouse (1).JPG

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

Like Ed said... I'd bet on '48 or '49 based on the stainless grill bars. If it was a '50 those would be an option. 

The bumper itself is stock, but the "grill guard" attached above it is aftermarket, or home built. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I think the bumpers would have been black stock, not chromed?

Is that chrome or silver paint? The correct color for the 39-47 is argent silver. 

• 2 months later...
On December 8, 2017 at 7:08 AM, 48Dodger said:

48-49 has the floor lever pull brake.....50 has the under the dash T handle pull brake.

Its hard to see from the picture posted.

48D

Shhh, don't tell (Rob) my b3hh he has a floor hand brake instead of the "T" under the dash brake. :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlueberryDodge said:

It looks like a 48/49, those years used silver bars. 50 had painted bars. The 50 still had a rectangular instrument cluster, that changed in 51.

I had a 50 with SS grille bars. It was original.

8 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Stainless grill bars were optional for the B-2 series trucks. They were standard equipment on the B-1 series light trucks, and optional on the medium and large trucks.

Excellent info. Thanks for clearing that up Merle. That is what I get for reading books.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, RonaldC said:

cant tell for sure from pics, but the one thing that everyone is correct on is, it is either 48 or 49 based on floor shift and gauge configuration. 50 and 51 had gauge in a square cluster, not a row.

1948 to 1950 same instrument dash.....1951 to 53 same instrument dash. 

48D