Report: 1953 Plymouth - What Owners Are Saying

keithb7

Hi folks, recently I happened to locate a pile of vintage magazines from the 1940's through 1960's. I rifled through them to try and find any information about Mopar products. I singled out info mostly around the years of my 1953 Windsor, and took them home. I thought I might scan the articles and share them on the internet so others could enjoy them. I am thinking maybe I should go back and get the whole pile of books. There are many. I believe I saw some as far back as the early '40s. It might be fun and interesting for members here. If this is interesting let me know, I'll keep on scanning and consider getting the rest of the magazines.

Hopefully the images are readable. I scanned them as jpegs. I am open to other suggestions of how to proceed if anyone has some ideas to improve the format. I will post more Mopar articles as time permits. If anyone wants their own copy, you may be able to right click and save on your computer? Or just contact me and I will email the images directly to you. 

I'll begin my project with the first article here. The Magazine is Popular Mechanics. Dated May 1953, priced at 35 cents. This month featured an article on "What Owners Say About The Plymouth". Here is the article:

yZkspUyIwyPUtEX0xWckLcom_O-H1o2Zdnwyn_22

uoNfz1FWmFN_F4o-xzbNYUzP82ZB9aVGmEHwLllx

XODwwLBEXdCC2vumaQNfaduzXPHASLJbk2ReG45o

DlLy3Ql8l2doTDBVUVmRhoqU0M4J7QIUGyC62du9

QhrJW5YMy5NqX7bb9LDLcuZVedWABPHQFhQKM0Bx

mhJUUrnO8suhnkybxx9tqeI6uQrhyEA62oIWhPmp

QLGiowlOlELNzSp4ZLtF0DYkNa8v3Y0Hfwpbqlu8

7fEyM1kgzuk0MSgLw1_x7VY1ulS-OJM-2E1WvfLz

R-U6-kGA8cD53O53zysrx8IoMXuz7NylUBHHPw0N

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Thanks.....

figured it was too good to be true....the 54 model was a huge step forward with accessories and other appointments to make the Plymouth stand out, many mechanical advances also...big difference between a mid year 54 and the debuted 53.  
Don't get me wrong, they got a lot of stuff in common, the car will grow on you as you hang around it some..The facto0ry manual for 54 does not cover a lot of the advances as they were introduced after publication of the book.  I have a number of special bulletins and brochures (copies) of these features.

The 54 was made longer by extending the  bumpers and headlight rims.   In 54, the Powerflite and  Power steering were offered for the first time although you could still get Hydrive and Overdrive.   

I had a 54 Belvedere sedan with Powerflite and Power steering.  A very nice car which I should have kept.   I also had a 54 Mayfair Dodge  2dr ht which I put a small block Chev into but that is another story.

factory side trim...not aftermarket supplied like the 53 model. continental kit from factory after Dec 1, as stated above, extended bumpers to give overall larger car look, repositioned and added over riders with built in license plate lights, CD radio markings, extended headlight bezels as mentioned above and the rear lights go the same treatment.  Cello wire basket caps and the most important is the larger 230 engine, automatic tranny, power steering and power brakes.  Other features also included optional factory trim packages to jazz up the car for eye appeal.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

factory side trim...not aftermarket supplied like the 53 model. continental kit from factory after Dec 1, as stated above, extended bumpers to give overall larger car look, repositioned and added over riders with built in license plate lights, CD radio markings, extended headlight bezels as mentioned above and the rear lights go the same treatment.  Cello wire basket caps and the most important is the larger 230 engine, automatic tranny, power steering and power brakes.  Other features also included optional factory trim packages to jazz up the car for eye appeal.

TKS Tim. I will keep that list. I haven't decided what I will do with the external trim. 

WPC Newa ( newsletter of the WPC Club ) did a feature on the 51 Dodge  within the last year. Volume 7 #2 Oct-Nov 2016.

It reprints an article, with pictures from August '51 Motorama entitled   DODGE  MOTOR TRIAL   "a safe sane stylish car"

2 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Keith, I'd be interested to know if there is any articles covering the 51 Dodges.  If you have the time and feel like looking through more magazines and run across the 51s, please lmk.  Thanks for posting :)

I located an article on the 1953 Meadowbrook and Coronet. I will be posting it. As of this writing I only have car reports on 53 and 54 years. If I get a chance to track down the owner of the magazines I will post some info on other years. - K

• Like 1