Woodgrain Thoughts

Silverdome

Veemoney, thanks that looks real nice. Did you just dob the stain on with that open pored sponge?

Mortimer452, thanks, my dash isn't too bad yet but my garnish moldings were pretty worn so I started with them for preservation purposes if nothing else.

• Like 1

I used  a paint brush to load the sponge so as not be gob it on to thick to start, then a flat piece of sheet metal to unload and test then just dob it on. You don't need much on the sponge. The flash of the camera on the close-up doesn't do the color justice.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, LazyK said:

does anyone have a photo of the grain pattern and color that was used on a 51 plymouth cranbrook. I'm thinking about having my dash hydro dipped ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrographics_(printing) ) and would like to find a pattern close to the original.

Here is a pic of a part I have in the shop.

Jdee

51ply.jpg

23 hours ago, Jdee said:

Silverdome those came out really nice. Those driftwood colors can be tricky

Jdee.

Jdee, thanks. I would also like to thank you and your company for your input and support of this lost art. I feel like all information whether it be a success or a failure can be useful. Patience and a good attitude go a long way toward success.

• Like 1

So true I gotta mess up a lot of stuff to get at least one thing new working. LOL 

I found you can use Solarez Fly-Tie ULTRA THIN Bone-Dry for fixing a bad fisheye in clear.

You know the one fish eye that just keeps coming back after a re-clear:mad:

lol, The uv curing with a cheap flashlight is cool..

Jdee

For those of you considering polyurethanes, be mindful that the minwax oil modified urethane is not light stable and will fail after long exposure to sunlight. You can use minwax helmsman which is sunlight stable or an automotive urethane clear.

• Thanks 1

So, this thread motivated me to re do my dash that is already out of the car. It was painted with a flat black high temp header paint. I left that as the base. It was already clean and smooth.

i applied a rustoleum rattle can medium brown in a really light coat.

cut a short coarse paint brush down even shorter and stubbier.

used a minwax wood stain cut about 1/2 way with paint thinner.

once the brown had a little tack to it, i dipped the brush in the diluted stain and brushed it through. I kept layering the spray paint and the stain and applying different pressure to blend the two colors and this is what I got. I still have to fine sand it and clear coat.

IMG_2179.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, belvedere666 said:

So, this thread motivated me to re do my dash that is already out of the car. It was painted with a flat black high temp header paint. I left that as the base. It was already clean and smooth.

i applied a rustoleum rattle can medium brown in a really light coat.

cut a short coarse paint brush down even shorter and stubbier.

used a minwax wood stain cut about 1/2 way with paint thinner.

once the brown had a little tack to it, i dipped the brush in the diluted stain and brushed it through. I kept layering the spray paint and the stain and applying different pressure to blend the two colors and this is what I got. I still have to fine sand it and clear coat.

IMG_2179.JPG

Looks Great! And yet another way to accomplish a woodgrain finish on metal.

• Like 1

Excellent thread on wood graining.  Thanks to all those who provided the information.  I'd suggest saving this or linking to the technical area.