town sedan ??

John Reddie

Town sedans don't have the rear quarter window that was common with the typical sedans of the era.  The B pillar is farther back than typical, and the doors are wider,  besides the rear door being front-hinged.   

At the Orphan car show yesterday, I saw a '37 Cord and a Graham Hollywood, which shared the same body, with the Hupmobile also.  The rear doors are front-hinged, like a town sedan, but the front doors are rear-hinged. 

DSCF5778.JPG

DSCF5780.JPG

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo - rear doors
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Town sedans don't have the rear quarter window that was common with the typical sedans of the era.  The B pillar is farther back than typical, and the doors are wider,  besides the rear door being front-hinged.   

At the Orphan car show yesterday, I saw a '37 Cord and a Graham Hollywood, which shared the same body, with the Hupmobile also.  The read doors are front-hinged, like a town sedan, but the front doors are rear-hinged. 

Still a few more differences also not yet mentioned....

23 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

Black steering wheel and control knobs, B pillar is exposed instead of hidden, I think there are no options because it comes standard with all the bells and whistles....lol.

only the Town Sedan Special has the black knobs, steering column and steering wheel......there is even an export Town Sedan special...

Hey Frankie, not a problem, Tell Emsey that I am dry today except for perspiration from working on the house.  We are now again in need of rain.  The ground soaked Erma up like a sponge....I had my feet wet many times during the storm going out to clear this or that..one time I took the chain saw down the street to cut huge oaks that had blown down across the road blocking both lanes.  Lady told me as I walked back to the house that she had called the county, they came out, looked at the mess, the limbs still swaying in the breeze and got in their truck and left...I could never sleep at night knowing that was there and the possibility that an elderly neighbor may need emergency ambulance service and they had to find an alternate route to their house.

• Like 3

Well done Plymouthy. You're a good neighbour. 

Thanks for the responses. To me it still just looks like a marketing idea. I don't see how any company could create so many options and hope to sell enough of that version to make enough money to cover the tooling.

Rick

The Packard Clipper was designed by Howard "Dutch" Darrin and was the first car to be built by Briggs for Packard.   Briggs rarely did styling work for Chrysler or Packard as both companies had their own styling staff. 

The Chrysler Corp. town cars had a slope at the rear end that was identical to the six window sedan and not as drawn out as the Clipper.  Not surprising, really, as the luggage compartment lid of the town sedan was the same as used on the two door sedan, the six window four door sedan, and the LWB sedans.  

You can see this if you look at the New Yorker town sedan, which is more of a side view to match the Clipper photo.  

Briggs made bodies for Plymouth, including the 1942 town sedans.  But again, the rear of the town sedan was the same as the six window sedan.   There were differences in roof stampings for the C pillar, the section behind the rear doors.   The rear fenders for each make were the same for all body styles and thus the Mopar town sedan rear ends look stumpy from the side view in comparison to the Clipper .  

As I stated earlier,  Briggs did not build all the bodies for Chrysler Corp.   The body used for Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler from 1941 was built in Chrysler Corp body plants.  And they shared a great number of stampings, including the luggage lid for all their sedans - 2 door, 4 door six window, town sedan and LWB sedan.  Only Plymouth relied on Briggs for bodies, either the Mack Avenue plant or the Evansville body plant located south west of Plymouth's assembly plant.

Attached is a side view shot of a 1941 DeSoto Town Sedan and the rear quarter shot of a 1941 Dodge Town Sedan.    You can clearly see how short the tail end is in comparson to the Packard Clipper and how the rear slopes down from the roof to the bumper. 

1941 DeSoto Custom 4dr Town Sedan 201.jpg

1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Custom 4dr Town 410.jpg

• Like 2

Frank, interesting pics of the 41 Chrysler showing the rear seat centre armrest down, at least thats what it appears to be........not normally shown....andyd

• Thanks 1

• 6 years later...

Stumbled across this old thread and couldn't resist reviving it.  I'm a fan of the Town Sedan body style and had some things to add!  Chrysler did only make the Town Sedan in 41 and 42, however, the 46 to 48 Town and Country Sedan was built from the Town Sedan body - the rear vent windows are in the doors.  This could be important to anyone trying to restore a town sedan because replacement rear vent window rubber is available for the Town and Country and you can definitely make it work in the steel sedans.

Also, according to the 1941 Crown Imperial brochure, a divider window was available as an option in the Town Sedan.  And I know that they made at least a few because we have one.  It's a parts car, and it's rough, but it's got a divider...

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg