1950 Dodge B2 Pickup (my new toy/project)

Marc 1952 B3B

Hi all

Ive just got my self a 1950 B2 which is going to be a full rebuild from the ground up. Im in New Zealand and information on these beauties is hard to find down here so im glad i stumbled upon this forum!! Just imported from California last year... Excited to crack into it. I have removed the body and just about to pull the old flat 6 out. Ive got a long road ahead and probably heaps of questions im hoping some of you can answer. Some pictures here.

Marc

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

Edited by Marc 1950 B2
uploaded pictures
  • Like 1

Welcome! What part of NZ?  All Blacks fan? :)

The truck looks more like a '51 or newer body. Different grill than a '50 and the windshield wipers are in the '51 or newer location.

Years ago, California used the year of purchase as the model year. It could have been bought new in late 1950?

1 hour ago, B1B Keven said:

Years ago, California used the year of purchase as the model year. It could have been bought new in late 1950?

That wouldn't be possible as they were still building the B-2's in late 1950, as evidence by my B-2-C that was built in December of '50. The B-3's went into production in early 1951.

I would agree that it does appear to be a B-3-B

I have headlights:) 

Yes someone has jammed a tank behind the seat i presume these had a tank under the cab/tray originally? a bit of body work needed to patch the horrible hole they put in it for the filler.

Because of the hassle with compliance etc over here i will likely have to change it over to right hand drive so will be looking at putting a Jaguar XJ6 front end or similar in it. Any one done anything similar?

Cab will be coming off this week then onto checking chassis for straightness and will likely have to install a K member to stiffen the structure.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Registration info seems is always to blame for mis identification of these trucks. Here's some things you could look at to help indentify the year of your truck.

Pilot-House Era is defined as 1948 to 1953

Clues your truck is a 1951: 

The Grille: has a 1951-53 type

The Cab: the wiper holes are in the wide position (48-50 are closer inward)

Cab Doors: the mid horizontal body line stops mid way ( 48-50 goes all the way to the door jam)

The Bed:  The bed has round fenders. 1953 is the only year with square fenders (square lasted to 1983) with the changes to the cab and grille in 1951, the round fenders

remained until 1952.

The Bed cont': Not pictured in your thread is the back of the bed below the tailgate.

The  cross member or lower bracing of the 51-53 bed below the tailgate is "knotched", the  48-50 is not, it's rectangular.

48D

• 10 months later...