Speedo drive pinion oil seal

thebeebe5

Just about the last thing to install on this transmission, but I cannot find a source. Not listed at Bernbaum's.   Anyone know where to find one?  The one (original?) I have is hardened and i expect it to break upon reinstall....

Part No 29 in this schematic.  

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

4 hours ago, Desotodav said:

I found some at a local seals shop here in Oz for my truck/s.

PM me if you cant find them in USA and I will post one over to you.

Speedo gear drive seal.JPG

Desoto, might do that, pal!  Let me see what I can score state-side first. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

I found one DCM Clsssics ( Dodge Central of Michigan )  when the o-ring I tried didn't work very well . $5.50 part number G-758 in their on line catalog . 

We discussed an o-ring today before I posted and decided it likely wouldn't last  very long.  Thanks for the validation.  I will definitely look up the part you mentioned.  

Thanks!!

I think that the seals which I found were made for hydraulic oil fittings. They were only about $1. It does look like similar to that G-758 from DCM. I found that my original seal had gone rock hard as well.

I would be interested to know what diff ratio you are running in your car... and how many teeth are on your speedo gear drive. I have been looking for an option to make the speedo in my 52 truck accurate again after I install the 3.54 diff.

Also, is that speedo gear drive you pictured from your P4?... as it does look to be a match for my truck one. I would rather find a gear drive from a car rather then installing an in-line mechanical correcting mechanism. I have 7 or 8 spare (3 speed) truck gearboxes at my shed, so knowing the correct teeth count would be a good start.

10 hours ago, Desotodav said:

I think that the seals which I found were made for hydraulic oil fittings. They were only about $1. It does look like similar to that G-758 from DCM. I found that my original seal had gone rock hard as well.

I would be interested to know what diff ratio you are running in your car... and how many teeth are on your speedo gear drive. I have been looking for an option to make the speedo in my 52 truck accurate again after I install the 3.54 diff.

Also, is that speedo gear drive you pictured from your P4?... as it does look to be a match for my truck one. I would rather find a gear drive from a car rather then installing an in-line mechanical correcting mechanism. I have 7 or 8 spare (3 speed) truck gearboxes at my shed, so knowing the correct teeth count would be a good start.

DD, this is a 17T gear.  Not sure what the rear ratio is on the car but I assume it's stock and I'm guessing there weren't a lot of options way back then?  I'll find out at some point, but I just haven't gotten that far yet.

6 hours ago, medium_jon said:

@Desotodav  wow that is a lot of spare gearboxes 

I had a few extra trucks a while back  that were too bad to save, so I ended up with a few spare parts!

4 hours ago, thebeebe5 said:

DD, this is a 17T gear.  Not sure what the rear ratio is on the car but I assume it's stock and I'm guessing there weren't a lot of options way back then?  I'll find out at some point, but I just haven't gotten that far yet.

17 teeth is interesting. You caused me a great deal of work yesterday as I got to wondering how many teeth were on mine... I pulled 8 of them from the transmissions and they were all 15 teeth (part # S916416) - which is correct for a number of vehicles running a 3 speed with a 4.1 ratio diff and 16" wheels. I suspect that the pinion drives in the other 3 vehicles are the same, so I wont bother pulling them.

I'm off to visit my instrument repair fella today to see if he can offer information as to whether I can change out pinion drive and gear sets in the transmission to allow for an accurate speedo after a 4.1 to 3.54 diff swap. I may have to look at a mechanical corrector like Joe did on the truck side.

Speedo gear drivesJPG.JPG

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Frieda PJ said:

Did anyone ever offers definitive answer to this question? I am looking for this seal for my 1935 PJ. Thanks.

Were you looking for the small rubber seal?.. see post #5 of this thread as Jerry said he got his from DCM Classics.

i an picking up the 3.54 diff for my 52 truck this morning as I have dinally got around to doing the 4.1 to 3.54 conversion. I have an adaptor to bolt between the speedo cable and the transmission to correct the travelled speed.

2 hours ago, Frieda PJ said:

Did anyone ever offers definitive answer to this question? I am looking for this seal for my 1935 PJ. Thanks.

On the thread of the beebes engine / transmission rebuild , he mentioned that he had to machine his speedometer drive pinion sleeve to accept the seal from DCM Classics . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

Yes, DCM classics for the part.  Had to machine depth and width for the seal.  Here's the link I thought I already posted, but apparently it went to some other thread, and how that happened I'm still confused.  But, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning....  ?

http://p15-d24.com/topic/43897-time-for-an-overhaul/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-504019