Pin hole leak in Oil Bath air filter

BobB

I just found a correct Oil Bath  air filter to replace the empty canister with no element that I had.

I've discovered a pin hole in the bottom of the portion to be filled with oil.

Any recommendations for non-oil-soluble methods to plug the hole would be much appreciated. My first though was a dab of JBWeld or a dot of solder. Don't know if the weld would dissolve or if the solder would stay put.

Thanks for your thoughts.

- Bob

• Like 1

the welding of this metal with a torch and a 000 or even a 00 tip is very doable....many folks have a hard time as they do not have the correct tip for the gauge of metal they are welding..most torches come with a 1 size tip and that is way to large for most all sheet metal...brazing it also a very effectives manner in which to repair...and of course, as stated above, you can actually just solder it.  

Welding isn't in my skill set anyway. Sounds like a bit of solder might do the trick.

I was also wondering if a speck of JBWeld might work as well as I'm honestly not that great with a soldering iron either.

Thanks for the help.   Bob

Solder won't stick, uless your going to silver solder it and that's as hard as brazing for the most part...clean it up really well, JB weld the spot and then put a little black rtv over that once the jb is fully cured...shouldn't cause you any more issues, but sand the spot with some rough 80-40 grit sand paper so the jb can grab

Just now, 4mula-dlx said:

Solder won't stick, uless your going to silver solder it and that's as hard as brazing for the most part...clean it up really well, JB weld the spot and then put a little black rtv over that once the jb is fully cured...shouldn't cause you any more issues, but sand the spot with some rough 80-40 grit sand paper so the jb can grab

Perhaps, just spit balling here but you may be the -perfect candidate for a roll of that new Flex Seal tape....BUT....I would not drive far any length of time or distance without frequent checks....

If you get the metal really clean and free of oil prior to applying the JB Weld or epoxy, either should do the trick for quite some time. You might even try some Red-Kote fuel tank sealant particularly if the metal in the bottom of the oil bath part is pitted.

I guess some people on here don't know the strength of jb weld...if you farm it's a life saver, and have seen cracked blocks fixed with it...he said pin hole, it's not a 1/2" gash I'm guessing, on top of that....since when does a minor oil leak burn down trucks?? If that was the case, 95% of flathead trucks would be ashes

The best solution is if you have access to TIG, or know a welder who has TIG, weld it up, or make a patch to weld over it. do it on the inside and it will never be noticed. That's the most permanent fix. I bought a front sump oil pan, from the p15-d24 store that had a little smaller than a dime size hole in it, TIG'd it up and ground the weld down from the outside.  It isn't noticeable and there are no worries about future leaks either. 

Just convert the oilbath air cleaner to use a modern paper filter and then if you are going to a show that is being judge then put the wire mess filter back on the top of the carb.

If the truck is a driver than go with the best possible change and get rid of the oil base filter or maybe even see if you can find a K&D new style filter to fit the truck. If it is a fully restored truck ground up totally 100 point truck then you will be only putting the truck on a trailer and not driving the truck. So just make a simple change to the filter and have lots of fun with the truck. Most people at the car show would not even care about the non stock air filter only you and a few other people might even notice it and since it is your truck and your money I would not care what they thought. If they have comments then tell them to open their wallets and buy the truck from you.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com