Tons of caked oil and dirt on front of the timing chain cover

Redmond49

I'm cleaning up in the engine compartment of my newer project ('46 P15 2-door sedan) while I have the radiator and water pump out. There is a LOT of caked oil and dirt on the front of the timing chain cover. Is this an indication that the front oil seal is leaking and throwing oil around?

The original oil pump had a lot of grease around it, and the top of the front engine support was also deep with caked oil and dirt, in the pic that has already been cleaned up.

I haven't driven it much, so I don't know how much it leaks after use, there are a few drops of oil from just sitting.

caked-oil.PNG

Yep..........I'd suggest cleaning/scraping/degreasing everything........timing cover, sump, engine sides, steering box........the whole lot.............start with scraping as you are doing, then I'd use/brush or spray some mineral turps(not sure what you yanks call it) as it tends to seep into the grease easier softening it then hit it with some water soluable  degreaser and then finally use a hose or high pressure water jet................then start again ............lol...............I wouldn't even try to replace or repair any seal or gasket till I got all the crud off, then you'll be able to see exactly where its leaking and more importantly remove/repair/replace whatever it is without getting old crap & crud on or in the new parts.............I hate grease...........so keep cleaning.........regards from Oz....btw the water tube looks really clean, at least the front of it anyway, I'd see if it can be pulled out while you have the water pump off and squirt the hose in there to clean any crap out.............andyd    

Edited by Andydodge
more info

Looks about right to me.   It is a certainty the  engine has been there for a long while.  At some point the cylinder head has been off * but no one has been into the timing chest. Nice to see the heat shield is still in place over the fuel pump.

* later model gasket with extra passage not needed on your engine

@Andydodge - I was amazed at the water tube, the forward end looks brand new.

@55 Fargo Spitfire - This is a Deluxe model, it came from the factory with the stubby water outlet elbow instead of the larger elbow that connected to the water pump, which came standard on the Special Deluxe model. I have the external pump removed right now, but a new one will go back on in it's place. They had it connected to a Ford heater, but I am going to cap the heater outlet and remove the heater as it looks like it has leaked a lot in the past, and I'll never drive this in very cold weather.

@dpollo - I like this car because it is all there - all the little (and in some cases big) pieces that were missing from my other P-15 are present and accounted for on this car. The original owner drove it for 20 years and seems to have maintained it regularly judging from all the doorjamb service stickers, then parked it in a barn where it stayed until ~2005. The second owners just kept it as is, down to the pre-1964 tires. 

waterpump-setup.PNG

• Like 1