1940 Mopar Interior Questions

Andydodge

My 1940 Dodge is an Oz assembled car, it shares the body shell, trunk lid, fenders, chassis etc with Oz assembled 1940 Plymouth, Desoto & some Chryslers. It is a D15 export model but I was wondering if anyone has seen any 1940 North American Mopar with the following interior appointments............... 3 Interior lights, one at the top of each centre pillar and another above the rear seat( in the attached pic of my cars interior you can just make out the light on the pillar and above the rear seat), a centre rear seat arm rest and adjustable/sliding front door arm rests.

The weird thing is that the 1940 Oz sales brochure I have lists these appointments as specifically included in the D14 Luxury Sedan the pic shows a maroon coloured sedan with the correct US Dodge triple fender pressings, short hood & headlight surrounds which would indicate proper US D14 Dodge styling..................my car has stamped into the upper firewall D15 D, which to me would indicate a D15 De-Luxe sedan as described & pictured as the green car in the brochure, note the Plymouth style fenders, long hood & headlight surrounds, they are what my car has..................yet it has the D14 interior appointments.

I have had the car since 1971 and it was an original car when I bought it, yes I know that these items could have been swapped over years ago but I think that would have been unlikely, possible but unlikely......it even had the original bench seat with an ash receiver facing the rear seat as mentioned in the D14 description..................every time I see a 1940 US mopar advertised on ebay I always check the advert to compare any interior pics but so far whilst the front door armrests are found, the door pillar lights and rear seat centre armrest don't appear.............so has anyone seen a late 30's -1940 mopar sedan with these inclusions?.............btw apologies for the 90degree off pics.............lol.................Andy Douglas               

P1000816 (800x600).jpg

img004 (12).jpg

img004 (14).jpg

Just a stray thought and not to suggest your car was once a taxicab but extra lighting might have been available and found its way into your car through the accessory catalogues of the era.

Actually one of the five 1940 Dodge sedans that I bought & pulled apart from 1971 to 1980 was in fact an ex taxi, I bought it around 1973 and it had supposedly been in the garage I found it in since 1948..........the "furry" condition of the car supported this assertion by the owner as did the flaking blue paint revealing a yellow/orange colour underneath .......it cost me 2 cartons of beer & was a basket case as it was less than 1/4 mile from the Pacific Ocean, you opened a door and the door pillar came with it........unfortunately I didn't take any notice whether it had the extra interior lights etc........we opened the garage doors and they fell off their hinges.......lol........the driveway sloped down to the road and the flat tyres slid down the slope with the rims revolving around the flat tyres.........lol...........the body was R/S but the engine had a rebuilder tag from 1948 on it & I onsold it..........but getting back to the possible Taxi idea.......the extra interior appointments are described in the sales brochure as being D14 features yet my car, a D15D has them and I wondered if the extra interior lights were seen on any US mopar..........in Oz these were upmarket cars........all 1940 Oz mopars I have seen have had full leather front & rear seats with a cloth/leatherette material used on the doors and a felt roof lining, albeit in various states of disrepair but enough to tell what it was.........maybe leather at least was easier to source locally............I've not seen the Bedford cord/cloth/velour type of upholstery as used on US cars...............I do appreciate your input, thanks, andyd