Southern AZ B2B Build Thread

johnsartain

3 hours ago, johnsartain said:

My wife calls it "The Other Woman". I spend a lot of the weekend working on it, there's always something to do. Actually I told my cousin the other day who asked whether it's a boy or a girl, I haven't made my mind up yet, but I think "Boy". I might call it Dewey, it my my Grandpa's middle name. It sort of fits. He used to trade cars, trucks, and livestock a lot. He had trucks similar to this growing up.

My wife like it when I am outside working on mine. it keep me out of the way :) I call mine Papa's Truck. Even thought it isnt the same one he had ,I got it because I loved his truck and it reminds me of my Dad and my son JJ always called him Papa so its "Papa's Truck"  Did you ever locate a throttle bellcrank thingie assembly ? I wish I had one, you would be welcome to it. Most of my extra parts other than engine pieces are just small stuff and some of them are for a '52 not a B1B or B2B.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, johnsartain said:

One of the doors was pretty bad, I thought about trying to replace it. I decided to give repairing it a try so I unfolded the edge seams chiseling the spot welds loose, and hammered it out best I could. The bottom edge and the side had creased as well but once apart it was a lot easier to work with. We then skimmed the door with filler. there may be an eighth if an inch about middle ways and over the weld  near the fender line. This is my youngest son working the filler. 

20160904_1011561.jpg

I love seeing this kind of thing. Theres nothing like making it a family project !

I am probably going to just fabricate it. The only problem will be getting it hard enough without getting it too hard. Cherry red and quench it in old motor oil.

I too am jealous of your shop and that glorious  lift - the price was sure right for a fantastic addition to any shop with a little head room!

Dewey would be proud!  I love the connection you've made with your boys on this project!  Thank you for sharing your story!

Jayson

• 1 month later...

I sent the Gauges off to B1B Keven a few week ago and recently got them back in tip top shape. They look as good as new! I have them installed. All I lacked on that was a fitting to the back of the oil gauge and thanks to Jerry Roberts for his help on obtaining that. 

20171007_182452.jpg

Edited by johnsartain
Added Photo
  • Like 1

Last weekend I installed carpet and pad, and Friday night I got newly upholstered seats and installed them. While I was at it I also had to work on the clutch as the socket head cap screws that held the bearing retainer to the transmission were too tall and interfered with the clutch fork. I removed them and installed button head socket cap screws. They have a shorter profile, fixing the problem and gave full travel of the clutch pedal
Today I will install the seat belts and work on the door panels. I have some edge glued tongue and groove cedar I need to cut to size and finish. I ahm also going to bleed the brakes which I haven't done since I reworked the brake assembly.
All that's left is the gas tank but I may fill the float bowl, start it up and give it a spin around the yard.

20171014_070613.jpg

20171014_070706.jpg

Edited by johnsartain
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, johnsartain said:

Last weekend I installed carpet and pad, and Friday night I got newly upholstered seats and installed them. While I was at it I also had to work on the clutch as the socket head cap screws that held the bearing retainer to the transmission were too tall and interfered with the clutch fork. I removed them and installed button head socket cap screws. They have a shorter profile, fixing the problem and gave full travel of the clutch pedal
Today I will install the seat belts and work on the door panels. I have some edge glued tongue and groove cedar I need to cut to size and finish. I ahm also going to bleed the brakes which I haven't done since I reworked the brake assembly.
All that's left is the gas tank but I may fill the float bowl, start it up and give it a spin around the yard.

Excellent results!!  Nice job.  

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Are those TBird alloy rims? Great looking truck? 

No, they're American Racing Outlaw Rims, they don't make them any more so I am told. The center caps have American Racing Logo's. I had those given to me for hauling off junk from a co-workers garage. I was just going to use them to roll it in and out of the shop but they are sort of growing on me.

Edited by johnsartain

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted on this thread but a few things have happened since October. A few weeks back I got my upholstery done and the seats are back in. We took our first ride, not far, but I just couldnt take it any longer. I was having a lot of trouble getting the brakes to work so when I got it to where I felt safe enough to take it down a country dirt road I loaded up and away we went but they were just too bad for the highway. There was is a crease in the new upholstery wher my ass cheeks were holfon on for dear life. This weekend I took care of that problem for the front end. I did the Rusty Hope Disc Brake conversion. That is sure one easy installation. It went off without a hitch with the exception I had to carry the steering arms to a friends house to drill them, my drill press was to small to handle the job and its speed was too high to cut properly. Here is the finished job.

20171104_184444.jpg

20171104_184518.jpg

Like many of you who have installed this conversion kit. I found that the new geometry necessitated having to shorten the tie rod to accommodate the caliper mount backing plates. The weld was ground from the clamp and it was forced down the bar  on each end. 3/8 inch was then cut from each end, the clamps were tapped back in place given the same gap from the end.  They were then adjusted to give 1/8" toe-in to the front alignment.

Edited by johnsartain

• 5 weeks later...