I finally found out what this is

John Reddie

I have been attending the same car show for a number of years now and always saw this '53 Plymouth two door hardtop there with this piece connected to the fuel line going to the carburetor (see attached photo). It is connected to a tee fitting . Today I was able to meet the owner and learn the mystery piece's function. He said it is some type of fuel shutoff that can be used as an anti-theft device. He said that his aunt bought the car new and must have had it installed at one time. There is a steel tube that runs from the piece before the carb and connects to a valve the is located on the dashboard. There is a slot for a key that is there and apparently cuts off the fuel supply when turned on. He said he has never used it but figures that the car runs fine so why fool with it. I fully agree. In all the years that I have been working on cars and going to shows, I have never seen one of these devices.

John

53plymB[1].jpg

• Thanks 1