Radiator swap question re P15

BobT-47P15

My stock P15 radiator has sprung a leak in the upper left hand (drivers) corner with antifreeze dribbling down the

edge of the core.   I can take it to a local radiator shop for repair.   But......I was wondering if, in the meantime, I can

substitute a similar radiator from a slightly newer model (probably early 50s vintage).   The main difference is in the

filler neck/overflow arrangement.    The P15 has the neck, which uses a non pressure cap.....and has a separate nodule toward

the middle from which the overflow tube comes.     The later model has the overflow tube coming off the filler neck, and I believe

uses a pressurized cap.  

So.......If I simply place my non pressure cap on the newer radiator, that should work OK and the overflow would not need any

pressure to escape.  (i bought the later model radiator at a swap meet to use as a spare, but failed to note the difference of the

filler and overflow.  Far as I can tell, it is in good condition......hopefully so.)  See attached drawing.  Thanks for any input.   Bob

On a related topic......If I was to buy one of those nice, shiny new aluminum radiators, can you paint them black to look like

the original? 

DSC08431.JPG

If it's nothing more than a minor leak,why not wire brush it,acid etch it,and solder ithe leak up? Done properly,this will last years.

Hi Knuckle..........being as I'm not a good mechanic and often do not have the handy dandy tool needed, I prefer to

take the item to the shop and let the experts work on it.   I don't really need to substitute the other (except for the heck of

it as a test) since I hardly drive the car these days.  I can sit and wait for the repair to be done. 

33 minutes ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Hi Knuckle..........being as I'm not a good mechanic and often do not have the handy dandy tool needed, I prefer to

take the item to the shop and let the experts work on it.   I don't really need to substitute the other (except for the heck of

it as a test) since I hardly drive the car these days.  I can sit and wait for the repair to be done. 

No problem. Look in the local yellow pages for "radiator repair",and drive it around and get quotes from the pros to do the repair. That's a  LOT cheaper than buying a new one.