windshield sealer?

bosworth

Hi Again;

I am about to install the glass in my 52 B3B,  I am using a Roberts gasket for the windshield and am aware that the lip will not fully cover the pinch seam.  I am expecting that I will need to add some sealer under this lip and am wondering what sealer is recommended.  I also expect that I will add some sealer under the back lip.  I once tried to use some silicon sealer while doing the instillation on my 48 Plymouth and it was a terrible mess.

Thanks

Bill

I sealed mine after the fact. Still a little messy, but not too bad. Do your installation with soapy water as lubricant. Then pull back the rubber lip and squeeze the sealant in between the rubber and the pinch weld. Don't use silicone. It's not good for that application. I used a urethane caulk on mine. I also had to get some down between the rubber and the glass too, to stop all of the leakage. 

Bill, use MasterSeal NP 150 black, it sticks to all surfaces and remains flexible. First off make sure your pinch weld is smooth with no snags as it will cut up the rubber during install and you can use soapy water or WD40 as a lube. Install the glass first and then use the sealant. The masking tape works fine and some mineral spirits will clean off any excess sealant. 

use thin body urethane like essex u14 not u14hv.  seal after install much cleaner if you run a bead and than pull the rope you can pull the rope thru the urethane. seal glass after windshield is in ' pump urethane under rubber lips if you pump in a lot press lip flat urethane will ooz out . the urethane that oozed out on the glass  spray with glass cleaner and use a new razor blade to srape off  the urethane that oozed out on the paint spray with glass cleaner and a fiber stick or plastic stick to scrape off this will get the majority off the paint the rest use tar and  bug remover use soft cloth not paper towel .  I don't spray on pinch weld or rubber with wd40 or silicone if I am trying to seal the windshield you can understand why. everyone has there own way of doing things that can work for them this is how I choose to do it don't want to step on any toes here . Neil

I will be on the lookout for black urethane calk,  I think I can get Pl or Seikaflex locally,  It sounds like any calking between the glass and the rubber is added after instillation, does anyone put calk into the groove in the rubber before the glass goes in, or it that to messy?

Bill

Edited by bosworth

Permatex makes a clear silicone that's specifically for windshields that flows very well, so after install you can use it and no ugly black to try and clean up anywhere.  I used it on mine, seemed to seal it about 95%...I think my only issues now is a screw leaking

I haven't Got that far yet;    But I just had an idea that if the wind shield glass was cut bigger , would that help ?  Even if you would have to relieve the seam to allow for the larger wind shield ??? I'm just sating. Charlie Stephenson