Score 1 for the fatboy

48hoopty

So, one day sitting around with nothing better to do and undecided to start checking Craigslist. Not locally but all over. Found a guy with a small stash of 23" motors. Since I'm new to this old Plymouth thing I figured I'd snatch me up a spare engine. So for a Benjamin I got a 1954 218. Bet this guy though I was off my meds when I called him in the Midwest about his Craigslist ad from Las Vegas. Needless to say I have friends all over the country, one swung by dropped off a hundy, loaded up my score, and delivered it to me this week.

From what I have seen, the same thing I bought back east fetches at least 5 bills out here on the west beach. Now..i got a spare engine, gonna rebuild it. Feel more comfortable knowing I've had my hands inside an engine than leave it chance with someone else's work.  

Now I need to source an aluminum head. Either score an intake or make one..I was reading a thread on a 39 with a homemade job set up for 3..i just need 2. That tuning thing thing is a pain. And I'm going to make headers. Because 6 or 700 bucks a whack is nuts. 40 bucks in tube a mandrel bender and a little bit of welding is a better way to go i think. Plus I'll have the only set. Maybe mill up some valve covers. Got an old Bridgeport and a new lathe. Gotta start making stuff.

P.S. if someone has a head for a 23" or knows of one..for a fee decent price PM me. And if you are looking for an engine and live in tornado alley I might be able to help.

• Like 1

I got an Edgy aluminium head from Earl Edgerton in Ca. few yrs ago and also the Offy twin carb intake should still be available on ebay or try Speedway Motors, I a HEI from Stovebolt Engineering and Beehive Oil Filter on the 201 in the 41 Plymouth, I had split the exhaust manifolds and had a local blacksmith weld the cast iron manifolds as being RHD the US exhaust headers etc don't clear the RHD steering box........ also got finned side covers from  ebay also........ended up selling the car & engine before I had the engine rebuilt..........andyd

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

• Like 1

I talked to Earl a couple weeks ago and he is not having anything cast for the near future. EBay parts are either scarce or non existent. Been on the hunt there. Looked at almost every city on Craigslist too. That's actually where I found the engines. The LA area has some stuff but mostly core engines and 1 built engine with all the fancy goodies for 4 grand. I'm pretty handy with a tig so fabbing up an intake and exhaust won't be a problem. I've been making sheetmetal intakes for 20 yrs on my big block motors. Amazing that it's 300 plus for an intake and 5 or 600 for split exhaust. I can build both for less than 125 in material and a few hours on the bridgeport. The valve covers they still make. The head is gonna be my hard score. A trip to Pomona might be in order. 

That is a sweet looking ride.