Any gas tanks close

Jj1981

If you can make an off brand tank work, go for it. I know several different ones have been used and mounted in places other than the original location. Here is another option.  http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=508/category_id=100/mode=prod/prd508.htm 

I used this one on my  1950 B2C

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm

Kinda pricey, BUT, it's one thing I won't have to revisit, EVER in my lifetime.  (I hope :cool:) I had to cut a slot about 4 inches out of the floor so the spout wouldn't hit the cab floor as it sticks through the floor.  I used the front mounting bracket to the frame and then took the rear bracket off the frame.  i attached the rear bracket to the new tank and then mark the alignment holes up on the frame.  I drilled new holes in the frame (about 2 inches forward of the original holes) and put the bolts in the new holes.  I used new stainless bolts and hardware all around.  Not sure if the stock fuel sending unit will fit or not.  Mine was not salvageable.   I went ahead and bought the new sending unit for the new tank also.  Easy install if you've got a grinder and 3" whizzer wheel.  

Oh yeah,  Get this part too  "BF56"  if you're gonna use 5/16 fuel line.      I spent way more than $12.00 in time and fuel driving to Ace Hdwe, NAPA, International Truck dealers, etc. looking for this fitting.  They have it.  Buy it there and be done with it.  

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=554/category_id=167/mode=prod/prd554.htm

Edited by WarriorDog

On 9/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, WarriorDog said:

I used this one on my  1950 B2C

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm

Kinda pricey, BUT, it's one thing I won't have to revisit, EVER in my lifetime.  (I hope :cool:) I had to cut a slot about 4 inches out of the floor so the spout wouldn't hit the cab floor as it sticks through the floor.  I used the front mounting bracket to the frame and then took the rear bracket off the frame.  i attached the rear bracket to the new tank and then mark the alignment holes up on the frame.  I drilled new holes in the frame (about 2 inches forward of the original holes) and put the bolts in the new holes.  I used new stainless bolts and hardware all around.  Not sure if the stock fuel sending unit will fit or not.  Mine was not salvageable.   I went ahead and bought the new sending unit for the new tank also.  Easy install if you've got a grinder and 3" whizzer wheel.  

Just 1 suggestion. While I would totally agree with going new from Tanks Inc., I elected to NOT cut the floor on my cab, but rather I had the local machine shop fabricate a 2' bushing for me to raise the neck the proper height to clear the floor. All in I was about $20 in to the bushing and didn't have to modify my cab. Just food for thought....

B3B tank Bushing.JPG

2 hours ago, RonaldC said:

Just 1 suggestion. While I would totally agree with going new from Tanks Inc., I elected to NOT cut the floor on my cab, but rather I had the local machine shop fabricate a 2' bushing for me to raise the neck the proper height to clear the floor. All in I was about $20 in to the bushing and didn't have to modify my cab. Just food for thought....

B3B tank Bushing.JPG

I thought about doing just that, but didn't have access to the machine shop stuff.  Excellent idea and too bad that Tanks, INC. doesn't sell that style adapter piece for their tank.  

9 minutes ago, WarriorDog said:

I thought about doing just that, but didn't have access to the machine shop stuff.  Excellent idea and too bad that Tanks, INC. doesn't sell that style adapter piece for their tank.  

send it to them-maybe they will start

21 hours ago, WarriorDog said:

I just took the neck into them and asked if they could build me a 2' flange. Best I recall it was 2", or there about, but would suggest measuring to be sure.  But any local shop with a lathe should be able to make you one. If push come to shove,  I can get you the number of the guy that built mine. You could send him the dimensions and I am sure he would be happy to build you one when the time came. One thing I failed to mention earlier, I did have to order an EXTRA gasket from Tanks Inc. (couple dollars) for the flange to neck. It come with (1), but you need an extra since you are not mating the tank directly to the neck now. i.e., one for neck to flange, and one for flange to tank.

But to your point, yes, it would be nice if Tanks Inc. offered that solution, especially since they know the tank is not an exact fit for certain models. But they are commercial, and mass producing these things in a 3rd world country I am sure. So the rational is it would simply cost to much to add another product. Hey, wait a minute! Now that I think about it, maybe I will start building these things and sell them. There's my golden egg! Thanks you! (yea, probably not. Oh well. It was nice being retired for a minute anyway....)

• Like 1

Just now, RonaldC said:

I just took the neck into them and asked if they could build me a 2' flange. Best I recall it was 2", or there about, but would suggest measuring to be sure.  But any local shop with a lathe should be able to make you one. If push come to shove,  I can get you the number of the guy that built mine. You could send him the dimensions and I am sure he would be happy to build you one when the time came. One thing I failed to mention earlier, I did have to order an EXTRA gasket from Tanks Inc. (couple dollars) for the flange to neck. It come with (1), but you need an extra since you are not mating the tank directly to the neck now. i.e., one for neck to flange, and one for flange to tank.

But to your point, yes, it would be nice if Tanks Inc. offered that solution, especially since they know the tank is not an exact fit for certain models. But they are commercial, and mass producing these things in a 3rd world country I am sure. So the rational is it would simply cost to much to add another product. Hey, wait a minute! Now that I think about it, maybe I will start building these things and sell them. There's my golden egg! Thanks you! (yea, probably not. Oh well. It was nice being retired for a minute anyway....)

To be fair to them the only reason they are making the tank in the first place is because of the 39-47 truck group convincing them it was a good idea. So they may be quite interested in your solution to the pilot house trucks. 

• Like 1

Just now, RonaldC said:

As a 51' owner, I appreciate all their efforts then for sure! Giving credit where credit is due, isn't that your group Ed?

I didn't start it but I've been in it a long time.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RonaldC said:

Hey, wait a minute! Now that I think about it, maybe I will start building these things and sell them. There's my golden egg! Thanks you! (yea, probably not. Oh well. It was nice being retired for a minute anyway....)

Why Not?  Make a little extra side money.  I do stuff like this for my motorcycle trip money.   It's paid for 4 NICE week long motorcycle rides/trips just this year.  I'm heading to the Ozarks soon for a week.   Alaska next year for 5 weeks.  Several different items will start to add up.  

Edited by WarriorDog
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tanks, I have had this '53 / '54 Suburban specific tank for sale for some time now. It is a scarce tank, but then so is the market. So if you want it it's yours for only $200 or I'm going to take it to my local tank repair shop and have them remove the upper shoulder and mount it under my truck as a spare tank. Will be good protection for mountain lake fishing trips where  fuel is pricy and stations are scarce

a picture is in parts for sale section. 

Edited by pflaming