R10 overdrive

John32369

Nope....

• Like 1

I found an overdrive mated to a transmission. From what little I've learned it would fit a 57-59 Plymouth or a   Dodge truck.  I know where I can get a transmission and motor for a 48 Dodge truck. I figured that would probably be a 230 motor.  I would like to put a straight drive in my 48  Dodge business coupe with an overdrive.  So I figured I would get it and see if I could make it work.  I know it's not original but I figured I'd try it anyway. 

To install an R10 Overdrive in a light truck, you must have the complete unit with its  three speed gearbox ( 52 to56).  A 3/4 inch  adapter plate must be made for the front of the trans and the column shift linkage must be significantly reworked.  Also the driveshaft must be shortened.

However   US built trucks may differ from my Canadian model.  Their transmissions were not all the same.   In any case, I have found my  installation to be very satisfactory.  The most challenging aspect was to make the parking brake work.  

The R10 J as found in 57 to 59 cars has a rather long input shaft which makes it unsuitable for some applications.  Dodge B4YA   gives the best advice, above.

Elsewhere on this forum is a thread discussing truck transmission choices.

Edited by dpollo
clarity

I put one in a 52 B3B panel years ago.

Drive shaft was shortened.. new end on it. 

Modified the shift linkage.

New front bearing retainer and more ...I just don't remember.

Drove it everywhere... including canada!  Up to Norm Pennie's speeds of 80 MPH.:D

You even remembered to drive on the Left hand side of the road after passing through the peace arch  as I recall.

Drove on both right and left  sides as that panel wandered like an old drunk at anything over 65!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1