Coolant in oil

tom'sB2B

I bought a 47 dodge D24 the other day. I feel like I got a pretty good deal for it. Though the catch was that the P.O thought that the block was cracked because he had water in his coolant. He sold it to me with an extra unrebuilt engine. I figured if it's that bad I'll just rebuild the engine next year. With the shape of the car and all the money he put into it, I thought it was still a great deal.

Anyway, he also told me that he had the head milled recently. So I pulled the head and all the cylinders were full of fluid. I also noticed that he none of the head bolts were sealed. They also are not the original head bolts. I'm wondering if the unsealed head bolts going through the water jacket could cause that much fluid loss or is it really a cracked block. Any opinions?

thank you 

tom

Before I did anything major I'd probably get a correct set of head bolts and reinstall the head with a new gasket, being sure to seal the threads. Then fill it up with water and drain the oil. Leave the oil drain plug out. Pressurize the cooling system with 2 or 3 psi and watch for water at the oil drain.     

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tom'sB2B said:

he also told me that he had the head milled recently

Just knowing was recent work makes me wonder. As you say the head bolts are wrong and no sealer.

Real question is, did he re torque the head multiple times afterwards? metal expands when it gets hot so the studs get just a little longer and release pressure then cool and shrink a little.

Basically I would torque the head then start it and let it get to operating temp and torque again, take it for a short 10 mile drive or so, then torque again. and then maybe at 100 miles and torque again.

Some say 3 times is enough, I might do 4. If I thought there was any movement while torquing the third time, would no doubt torque it a 4th time, until there is no more movement.

Anyways that is my thoughts, if they did not know enough to use sealer and correct head bolts, I doubt they torqued it correctly either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

Thanks Merle

How to do pressurize the cooling system?

You would want to use a radiator pressure tester. You may be able to borrow one at your local parts store, if they do "loan-a-tool". I know several advertise that around here. 

It will have an adapter that would replace your radiator cap, and then you pump it up to add pressure. Your car radiator may have a permanent vent at the top of the radiator. You may need to cap off the vent too. Don't put too much pressure into it. It is meant to be a pressureless system. I wouldn't go above 2 or 3 psi. That should be just enough to exaggerate any leaks. If no water drips out of the oil pan drain you're good to go. If it does, then tear it down and investigate.