P-15 grille sheet metal shape

DJ194950

My friends 47 Ply. Bus. Cpe. had some damage to the stainless grille parts. After looking on Ebay I found some reasonable prices (about $ 30 per piece, per side) to replace the damaged (5) stainless parts.

After further inspection it was discovered that the sheet metal under the grille stainless pieces also had some repair work needed.

My question is -- The sides of the sheet metal  parts that mount all these grille parts looks to have a slight curvature from from top to bottom (matches the fenders curvature) which are undamaged. The middle part of this grille sheet metal portion was hit almost dead center top to bottom and pushed back about 1"?? and has lost any curvature on top of the set back.

My question is the center peaked out area of the grille mounting the same curvature shape  as the fender side area??

Thanks,

DJ

This 47 Ply. definitely has some curve on the fenders and the sides of the grille sheet metal are the exact same curve . Just the middle had be pushed into sometime at one time and most of the stainless also bent.

46ply's picture Appears to also have a slight curve on the sides- though from the pic. it is hard to say for sure. The middle part is even harder to tell the shape top to bottom.

Neil so yours it flat on the sides and middle- " Very Interested" as Col. Klink used to say!

Now what to do??  :unsure:

Time for a survey?

Thanks for the replies!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
spelling!

I'm still trying to understand what curve(s) you're talking about.  Looks to me like the only curves on this grill panel are toward the center.  Everything else looks straight to me?  

I agree: 

the three lines which are the 2 vertical edges and peak of the center panel should be Plumb & straight in both front view and profile view.

This panel looks like a seagull from the plan view but there is no curvature in the other directions.

Edited by Ulu

Neil and Ulu,

Yep, that's the way I see it.  I think we all agree, no curves anywhere except for the two sloping curves from each side toward the center, which results in the center of the grille protruding outward.  Any other curves are not from the factory.

Ok, thanks for the "straight" information! :)

Man the curvature that it has matches very well between both fenders and the center sheet metal grille part. Just the center had damage and was actually pushed back inward.

The question I have now is to leave it alone for now, or repair all the parts? I do these repairs mostly for next to nothing for my friend.

Maybe it is now a Custom Special Deluxe! ;)

Be be determined soon.

Thanks all again!

DJ

Would be good to see a picture of what you're describing.  Maybe you could put a hydraulic jack behind it and push the whole thing out straight as one complete unit?

A couple pics from my stuff,,,,,47 P15.   That center part does come out to a point and the sides are straight up and down. 

Have owned this convert since 1973......it came with no grill (or any other) stainless.  Those center pieces do appear for

sale from time to time on eBay.   It has to come to a point in the middle as the entire grille is pointed to follow the

point on the hood.101_8021.jpg

DSC02367[1].jpg

DSC02371[1].jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Thanks for the continued info on the subject.

I will have to break out the old camera and put new batteries in it and take some pics to post!

Sorry I do Not have a new phone that takes good pics or know how to connect the phone to PC. :mellow:

DJ

image.jpeg.56ca2e8f187e0a7650b7f411397345d0.jpegimage.jpeg.56ca2e8f187e0a7650b7f411397345d0.jpeg

trying to add some fender pics but camera to pc has put the them all somewhere. Some how I got 1 pic for grille sheetmetal posted !

Later,

DJ

image.jpeg

Maybe I have the body pics of the shape to match the grille?

Appears to be done.

Understand that all these parts are supposed to be flat, but until other body and paint work is started I think they will stay as is-hope you understand?

DJ

IMG_0974 (1).JPG

IMG_0975 (1).JPG