Flatbed design

Brent B3B

over the weekend B1B Keven found me a horn ring attached to a B3D chassis:)  (horn ring removed in photo)

bumper.JPG.4be52386fc8b6d4678a28c95a8671007.JPG

got me thinking, someday I might want replace the bed on our flatbed.   b4d.JPG.696ac237fd3fbf8d05158b6a6bbc20dd.JPG

has anyone built a flatbed that would resemble one made from back in the day?

ours currently, is wood with bolt on pockets, 7' wide and 10' long (that backstop currently makes my outside mirror useless)

there might already be a thread on this I missed 

Thanks,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

over the weekend B1B Keven found me a horn ring attached to a B3D chassis:)  (horn ring removed in photo)

bumper.JPG.4be52386fc8b6d4678a28c95a8671007.JPG

got me thinking, someday I might want replace the bed on our flatbed.   b4d.JPG.696ac237fd3fbf8d05158b6a6bbc20dd.JPG

has anyone built a flatbed that would resemble one made from back in the day?

ours currently, is wood with bolt on pockets, 7' wide and 10' long (that backstop currently makes my outside mirror useless)

there might already be a thread on this I missed 

Thanks,

a saw would fix that...

Crap....,I just now saw your reply and the CL is now expired. 

You didn't happen to  take a "screen shot" of that add did you?

or better yet, did you buy the truck so I could look at it... Just kidding:D

2 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Here is one that is pretty similiar. As for buying that one... I cant get take on another project right now and nothing personal, but just cant do the flat bed. I would have to find a bed and wider fenders to fit.

Thanks, not taken personal. I get it, we bought ours in hopes to hall hay home with it. Thanks for the visual! 

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Here's the only photo I have of the rack I made for my 56  1ton

Yummy, :) did you make the bed also? 

Guess I am looking for the size of materials 3" or 4" , channel or tube etc. 

the  "horn ring" chassis I have above, is not a good sample of what to use, more what someone might of had on hand.

37 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Yummy, :) did you make the bed also?    Yes....the whole thing.

Guess I am looking for the size of materials 3" or 4" , channel or tube etc. 

the  "horn ring" chassis I have above, is not a good sample of what to use, more what someone might of had on hand.

I am starting mine with first picking out the rub rail, the metal edging around the bed. I also want to use 2"x6" planking, .

I have a particular rub rail in mind, was very common on older trucks, so the hight of the rail plus the thickness of the flooring will determine the required hight of the cross bones.

I know many beds are 3/4" hard woods. I dont want to dump a lot of money in the flooring, I can get 2x6 pine that will be cheap and plenty strong enough and look good.

The photo of the dodge truck rub rails/side rails is very plain  and what I want, stake pockets, a few hooks, couple lights.

If I had a truck that was going to haul all the time, the second photo might be something more desirable.  You can see where this quickly gets to personal choice.

rubrail.jpg

rubbyrail.png

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 3