Another DIY brake shoe adjustment tool.

Forrest

I wanted to share a tool I made today to adjust front drum brakes.  Utilizing an extra drum from a 1955??? Dodge truck, I was able to press out the wheel studs and separate the hub from the drum.  Then welded a couple nuts to the hub. Drilled a square hole in a piece of steel plate and inserted a ½" carriage bolt and nut to complete the tool. It's so easy to use.

1) lay drum upside down and set the hub tool on top of the drum hub. 2) turn the bolt in or out until the inside edge of the plate is inline with the inside of the drum surface.  3) turn bolt 1/4 turn in and tighten nut to hold plate.  4) place tool on spindle (with bearings and castle nut) 5) adjust lower major adjustment bolts followed by minor adjustments. 6) rotate tool and adjust until desired clearance is achieved  7) remove tool and attach drum, check for drag, and readjust if necessary.  Worked for me, hope someone can use this simple tool design to adjust their brakesenjoy!

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Outstanding! For those of us without spare hubs, I'm wondering whether we might be able to go through one of the rivet or lug bolt holes, since obviously we can't weld anything to the hub. Great idea though and gives me plenty of food for thought..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fowl Jeff said:

Outstanding! For those of us without spare hubs, I'm wondering whether we might be able to go through one of the rivet or lug bolt holes, since obviously we can't weld anything to the hub. Great idea though and gives me plenty of food for thought..

actually that is a great idea...something that uses the exsisting lugs or holes is a great idea.

You might could invert an old brake disc and bolt it to the hub, then use a c clamp or other device to fasten a bar to the disc.  As a matter of fact, I think I'll give that a try myself. My hubs have been modified. The rivets were drilled out and the drums and holes countersunk and threaded to use Hex Socket Countersunk Head Machine Screws.

Edited by johnsartain
Added info

• 3 years later...