Running Hot valve Set. That was fun!

keithb7

Finally I got around to checking and adjusting the valves on my '53 Chrysler. I did a valve job in June. I set the valves best I could, cold. The car has been running well. Those in the know, say the valves need to be checked with the engine hot. Even better, while it's running.  Well for me, this was a first. When I first learned about setting valves on a running engine, I laughed. Good Lord, why would anyone tell someone to sick their hands inside a hot running engine ?  :D Well, I finally got some time to do it today. I took the car out for a ride. I got it nice and hot. Came back to a driveway with all the tools lay'd out in advance ready to go. Like a pit stop, I had it jacked up and the valves exposed in little time. I fired up the engine and I checked all my intake and exhaust valves. I did find a couple of exhaust valves were a little tight. As I expected, as they expand more as they heat up. I shut off the engine, made a quick adjustment, then fired it up again to check valves again.

The hot, engine-running valve set enlightened me as to exactly why this needs to be done. You can really feel those feeler gages being pulled in when it's right. My intakes were all good, in spec. I made adjustments to my exhaust and I feel a lot better about properly cooling those hot valves while I am driving.

After I was done, I put together a quick unedited, unscripted video for anyone interested in seeing how I did this. Sorry about trying the talk over the engine. It's hard to clearly hear what I am saying when my camera was so close to the engine.  It feels great to do, and learn something new.  I only burnt my left arm once near my wrist. Totally worth it!  - Keith

https://youtu.be/aameeYT7SXQ

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 8

One question. How does the valve train get lubrication? I see no sign of any oil getting tossed around at idle. Does oil get splashed around when the engine is rev'd up, finding it's way to the tappet adjusters? Thx.

Edited by keithb7

6 hours ago, keithb7 said:

One question. How does the valve train get lubrication? I see no sign of any oil getting tossed around at idle. Does oil get splashed around when the engine is rev'd up, finding it's way to the tappet adjusters? Thx.

Some pics of oiling the tappets and cam....

Cam and tappet Oiling.JPG

Oiling Lifters.JPG

Rod oiling Spray on Cam and cylinder wall.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks for the illustrations on the oil flow folks. I did see the little oil reservoirs near the tappets. That makes sense. They supply oil for the tappet shaft as it travels up and down. I'll guess oil does not readily get in between the end of the tappet adjuster and the valve stem?