California low rider Plymouth

pflaming

I was wondering who might notice.  These Chevys were very popular with the low riders. He was pulling out when I saw him so we never met ..  did you note the window air cooler?  It is a must have! 

35 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the car represents a lot of input for sure...but I think it is overdressed for the most part...the squatting in the rear is for sure an item I think further contributes  to the less than favorable look.   but if the owners are happy that is all that truly counts.

That's what makes them low-riders. The fat chebbies of the late 30's and 40's are the most popular lowriders because they are "fat" and when lowered they give "the look".

Many/most are basically restored cars with all the options,but lowered. I like them and always have.  Lowriders have to be the only branch of the old car obsession that focuses on 4drs. Lots of old 4drs were saved from the crushers because of this trend,and not all of them became low-riders. The popularity of low-rider 4drs made restored and hot-rod 4drs popular,too.

Check out the low-riders/fat cars in this Carlos Santan/Rob Thomas video. If you don't love that two-tone green 46-48 Chebby sedan in this video you need to quit pretending you like old cars,and move on to something else.

The music ain't bad either,and frankly there are  a couple of those girl dancers I still haven't gotten a good look at because I get a little dizzy every time I try. Especially the girl in the window. Oh,MY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Whgn_iE5uc

38 minutes ago, casper50 said:

guess I should quit pretending.

Ok,what is it you don't like about that car?

They are called 'Bombs' and they are usually loaded with every possible option and add on of the time.

And we've been through this before...some folks like, others, not so much. And then there's the haters.

Edited by BigDaddyO

1 hour ago, BigDaddyO said:

Car?

There was a car in that video?

Right at the beginning,but then the babe in the window starts moving around,and the babes get out of the chebbie and start moving around,and I get a little confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDaddyO said:

They are called 'Bombs' and they are usually loaded with every possible option and add on of the time.

And we've been through this before...some folks like, others, not so much. And then there's the haters.

The way I see it,unlike rat rods they are preserving the old cars and most of the styling that attracted most of us to them from the beginning.

I'm all for anything that preserves them and puts them out on the roads for people to see and admire. Driving them around as recognizable old cars is what will save the hobby from extinction and keep the cars from being banned from anything but parades. People LOVE to see old cars and trucks being driven around and enjoyed,and a lot of times it inspires some of them to look for  their old "high school dream car" so they can join in on the fun.

Nothing but win/win for all of us. If young people don't see and become interested in old cars,when we die the old ones we worked so hard to preserve will end up at the crusher,being sold by the pound. The market for 40's and 50's cars is already weakening as things like 70's and newer Mustangs and Camaros take over,so I see any public exposure the 20's to 50's cars to the younger generations as nothing but a good thing.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 3

Yeah, I kind of lost track once the girls started showing up, too...and taint nuthin wrong with some good ol Santana.  I remember when low riders started showing up when I was in high school in west Texas.  Let's just say the late '70s.  Then it was just slamming the rear suspension, but it was all about resurrecting older cars.  That's the part I like.  The workmanship, attention to detail, and pride in the end result (Note the Chevy in the original post is parked across three spaces) I like, too.  But, I wouldn't have one, I like either stock ride height, or just lowered an inch or two - as in subtle - that's me.  If it blows your skirt up, then that's what you should do, and I'll applaud you for it. 

I saw the New Yorker name and the very beautiful wood on Santana's guitar did I miss something? :huh:

DJ

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I saw the New Yorker name and the very beautiful wood on Santana's guitar did I miss something? :huh:

DJ

Uhhhhhh,yeah.

Don't worry about it,though. I keep missing stuff,too. Must have gone back at least 50 times since I found that video to watch it again to see what I missed.

Or maybe at my age it might be more correct to say I "miss what I see".

Edited by knuckleharley

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

The way I see it,unlike rat rods they are preserving the old cars and most of the styling that attracted most of us to them from the beginning.

I'm all for anything that preserves them and puts them out on the roads for people to see and admire. Driving them around as recognizable old cars is what will save the hobby from extinction and keep the cars from being banned from anything but parades. People LOVE to see old cars and trucks being driven around and enjoyed,and a lot of times it inspires some of them to look for  their old "high school dream car" so they can join in on the fun.

Nothing but win/win for all of us. If young people don't see and become interested in old cars,when we die the old ones we worked so hard to preserve will end up at the crusher,being sold by the pound. The market for 40's and 50's cars is already weakening as things like 70's and newer Mustangs and Camaros take over,so I see any public exposure the 20's to 50's cars to the younger generations as nothing but a good thing.

I'm with you there.

That's why I make my annual pilgrimage to Lead East. They bill it as the largest 50's party and although it's attendence has tapered off a little the last few years, it's still one the best cars shows ever. Talk about lost in the 50's. And it lasts for 3 days and nights. Always a good time. Plus, I have reservations at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for Saturday.