1939 pt-81 rear end gear swap from 4.11 to 3.73

8 minutes ago, jeff ross said:

Do you know what kind of overdrive I would need ?A picture,or model number,          Im not familiar with these ,thanks

The Borg Warner R10 is attached to a stock column shift 3 speed. If you already have a column shift, a R10 would just need the driveshaft shortened. However, the spare one I have laying around is out of a 54 Plymouth. Not sure how much of a difference if any there is with your older transmission.

1 minute ago, 59bisquik said:

The Borg Warner R10 is attached to a stock column shift 3 speed. If you already have a column shift, a R10 would just need the driveshaft shortened. However, the spare one I have laying around is out of a 54 Plymouth. Not sure how much of a difference if any there is with your older transmission.

Mine is a 3 speed stick,Can I get a gear put  in,between the drive shft and tranny,so not to tear everything apart in cab,make it look stock

1 minute ago, 59bisquik said:

So yours is a floor shift 3 speed? Then the R10 I have wouldn't work. However, somebody just recently used a divorced OD unit from a Volvo that went in under the floor and would look stock in the cab. Looked like a pretty cool upgrade.

Edited by 59bisquik

Another option that could look pretty stock and make the rig perform better would be a T5 swap if this doesnt float your boat. Again, with a 39, not sure how much different they are than one like mine. But there are a couple of folks on here that are happy with that route.

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Just so you guys know my 46 1/2 ton has a 3.90 and slightly oversized 16s and runs down the road great. I think you'd be quite happy with a 3.90 unless you have 15" tires

7 hours ago, jeff ross said:

So Jan,  you have not found gears that will fit from any mopar?

And Young Ed my truck is 3 speed on the floor,  It has 4.11 gears stamped on housing,15 inch tires.

Wish I could drop rpm a little

I think I seen your dodge at back to the fifties,was it there?

Equipment: I also have the original 3 speed behind a 218, 4.11 gears and 15" tires. Not really nice to drive in traffic at a speed limit of 100 km/h (about 63 mls) ...
Gears of any MOPAR: Depending on the manufacturer there are different encodes for the same ring and pinions. If I knew all the part-No.`s of the gears that fits to my rear, it would be able to expand my search to get the correct ones. The risk to get parts that do not fit is too high for me, since I have to pay nearly the same price for shipping and taxes as that of the parts.
By the way: I found some fairly used Jeep Cherokee rear axles here -> about 1200 €. One good as new last week -> 2300 € ... that hurts ...

15 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

Equipment: I also have the original 3 speed behind a 218, 4.11 gears and 15" tires. Not really nice to drive in traffic at a speed limit of 100 km/h (about 63 mls) ...
Gears of any MOPAR: Depending on the manufacturer there are different encodes for the same ring and pinions. If I knew all the part-No.`s of the gears that fits to my rear, it would be able to expand my search to get the correct ones. The risk to get parts that do not fit is too high for me, since I have to pay nearly the same price for shipping and taxes as that of the parts.
By the way: I found some fairly used Jeep Cherokee rear axles here -> about 1200 €. One good as new last week -> 2300 € ... that hurts ...

Jan,I cant believe no one has the gear numbers and has done this already

1 hour ago, jeff ross said:

Jan,I cant believe no one has the gear numbers and has done this already

I think most guys just swap the entire assembly not the gears themselves. I believe the 3.73 gears won't work in the 4.11 housing. I'll see if my book shows anything

My 1947 Mopar Streamliner parts book only shows 1 carrier part # 663472 for 37-47 plymouth dodge desoto and chrysler. Then it shows drive gear and pinion sets Generated type 3.73 664941 for 37-41 ply 42-47 dodge 46-47 desoto. Also formate type 3.73 1123087 46-47 dodge and desoto

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

My 1947 Mopar Streamliner parts book only shows 1 carrier part # 663472 for 37-47 plymouth dodge desoto and chrysler. Then it shows drive gear and pinion sets Generated type 3.73 664941 for 37-41 ply 42-47 dodge 46-47 desoto. Also formate type 3.73 1123087 46-47 dodge and desoto

So Ed, not to beat a dead horse,would a 664941 gear fit ?And is it still available.Thanks for all your time on this

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jeff ross said:

So Ed, not to beat a dead horse,would a 664941 gear fit ?And is it still available.Thanks for all your time on this

From what I could tell it would as long as you have a 663473 carrier. Now how do you tell that??? I believe you'll only find them NOS. 

Hey Jeff, have seen a rear axle for sale near to my home today  (unfortunately I have been the second guy that was interesting in...). It has been out of a 1955/56 DeSoto.  3.73 ratio. Every relevant dimension seem to be the same as that of our PT81 axle. 61" wide, 5 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern, drum brake and also the shape of the axle housing is pretty similar (for the original look). Also the axle drive pinion flange seems to be the same type (dont't know the exact dimensions). Maybe an alternative to the difficult to find 3.73 ring and pinion or other solutions ? 

35 minutes ago, PT81Jan said:

Hey Jeff, have seen a rear axle for sale near to my home today  (unfortunately I have been the second guy that was interesting in...). It has been out of a 1955/56 DeSoto.  3.73 ratio. Every relevant dimension seem to be the same as that of our PT81 axle. 61" wide, 5 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern, drum brake and also the shape of the axle housing is pretty similar (for the original look). Also the axle drive pinion flange seems to be the same type (dont't know the exact dimensions). Maybe an alternative to the difficult to find 3.73 ring and pinion or other solutions ? 

Hi Jan,         So I assume it has same housing,drops out of front,  are you going to check it out? I would be curios if it would work

Looking at my classic Hollander interchange manual-1946 -1956 which often cover other years if the fit many models and years -says, No to using the drop out 3rd member complete from the Desoto. Why?? Does not say.

Many other Mopar 3rd member dropouts should fit into your truck, almost too many to list. Look for almost any 6cyl. cars from 1937- 53

or 54.  The 3.73 ratios were common in Bus. Cpes. Early Desoto,Chrysler  6 cyl. models Only.

If you find a candidate for exchange post the year,model, # of cyl. in donor car. Several forum members have this interchange manual and give good info for you.

DJ

46 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Looking at my classic Hollander interchange manual-1946 -1956 which often cover other years if the fit many models and years -says, No to using the drop out 3rd member complete from the Desoto. Why?? Does not say.

Many other Mopar 3rd member dropouts should fit into your truck, almost too many to list. Look for almost any 6cyl. cars from 1937- 53

or 54.  The 3.73 ratios were common in Bus. Cpes. Early Desoto,Chrysler  6 cyl. models Only.

If you find a candidate for exchange post the year,model, # of cyl. in donor car. Several forum members have this interchange manual and give good info for you.

DJ

well , maybe it is not as hard as it sounds

6 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Many other Mopar 3rd member dropouts should fit into your truck, almost too many to list... 

I also can imagine that other axles which indeed fits are not listet, because they do not fit the original application. Trucks might need some stronger gears for example. But I am not too worried to use an axle out of a passenger car in my truck (if I find one) since I do not plan to carry a heavy rock around the area... :D

8 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

I also can imagine that other axles which indeed fits are not listet, because they do not fit the original application. Trucks might need some stronger gears for example. But I am not too worried to use an axle out of a passenger car in my truck (if I find one) since I do not plan to carry a heavy rock around the area... :D

Hi Jan,I don't plan on hauling anything either,  Im leaving for vac. for a couple weeks,i will be out of the loop on this,I sure hope to fiqure this out See you all later