turning over engine

I had to go buy one just for that, it was larger than any on my 3/4 drive socket set. I'm not at home to look but I think it was a 1-5/8". I'll look when i get in

• Like 1

It will be one of these....

MoPar Flathead crank nut sizes.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah, Dodgeb4ya, has a good take on it. There's a bit of variation I suppose across years. It may have been on account of cheap sockets but the plain style for me was 1-1/2 and the crank style pictured on the left of Dodgeb4ya' picture was the 1-5/8, I too have a 1-13/16 in that same style. If you only want to buy one socket, get a digital caliper and take a measurement. Measure twice, buy it once, so to speak. Unless you have multiple engines or parts of different sizes 

20170826_071245.jpg

20170826_065929.jpg

so, before i purchase anything and get started, are there any words of wisdom before starting? some dos and donts? has anyone had any bad luck doing this like breaking or snapping anything?

Edited by C.C. Rider

Put some oil in the cylinders and soak them, if it has been sitting for any length of time.  Some prefer special oils like marvel mystery oil, myself I have been using ATF. Just any light oil would work.

If the engine is froze you could fill the cylinders and soak them, if the engine is not froze, the oil will help loosen the rings and help them re-seat.

My truck sat since 1978, I put atf in the cylinders and let it soak for a couple weeks before trying to turn it over. And when I did turn it over, I just grabbed it by the fan belt and rocked it back and forth then rolled it over with the plugs out. Then I put some more oil in them for the next 6 months while doing other projects. Now I turn it over with the starter.

You dont need to wait as long as I did, you could add atf and then try and see right away if you can rock it back and forth. But I would add oil first.

My uncle has a 1947 ford flathead v8, I started putting atf in the cylinders last December, several times since then and still do not know if it is froze or not.

But it will be ready  when we are.